Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Imperial German Cavalry Officers sword info

Article about: I notice that the hilts of these swords are either gilt on steel or brass would which would have been the more expensive to buy at the time ?.

?

Default Imperial German Cavalry Officers sword info

I notice that the hilts of these swords are either gilt on steel or brass would which would have been the more expensive to buy at the time ?.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German Cavalry Officers sword info
    P
    Many

Price would rather depend, I would think on the type of sword. There were different swords for different ranks and some higher rank swords can be highly decorated with gilt and etching.

?

Ok thanks for that .

Quote by Katana View Post
    I notice that the hilts of these swords are either gilt on steel or brass would which would have been the more expensive to buy at the time ?.
    As was mentioned there are lots of variables. The German state involved, the type of cavalry unit (different models), etc. all of which affect what you might see with another factor being the time period. Brass (mostly copper) becoming a restricted material during WW I the reason for substitutions in later period sword making. Best Regards, Fred

?

Ok so were Weimar Republic swords brass hilted steel or both. I have also noticed some imperial swords have no maker markings ?.

Mike

Ok so were Weimar Republic swords brass hilted steel or both. I have also noticed some imperial swords have no maker markings ?.

Mike
    Mike, It depends. New Weimar manufacture “P” guard hilted swords were normally brass. But the Weimar era government issue swords were Imperial and mostly of Prussian origin. The Cavalry Officer’s saber (that was also carried in the field) having a steel basket type hlit that was derived from the M1852/79. A significant number of some very high quality Imperial era Officer’s swords have no maker markings. Most likely (IMO) because they would have been sold by local military outfitters, that could pick and chose from multiple suppliers as they wanted to, in satisfying their customer’s wishes and pocketbook. Best Regards, Fred.

?

Ok thanks Fred.
    Is there any way of knowing if a P hilt sword is Imperial or Weimar ?.

Mike

Ok thanks Fred.
    Is there any way of knowing if a P hilt sword is Imperial or Weimar ?.

Mike
    Mike, Mostly yes, but here and there you might occasionally find a sword where you are not quite sure. No nickel plated scabbards. Plastic covered grips versus Imperial era sharkskin being a few of the areas. Another etched blades especially those with Imperial era motifs, that also applies to the motifs for the hilt decorations. Weimar era swords generally being less labor intensive-costly and plainer. Best Regards Fred

?

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Mike, Mostly yes, but here and there you might occasionally find a sword where you are not quite sure. No nickel plated scabbards. Plastic covered grips versus Imperial era sharkskin being a few of the areas. Another etched blades especially those with Imperial era motifs, that also applies to the motifs for the hilt decorations. Weimar era swords generally being less labor intensive-costly and plainer. Best Regards Fred
    Ok thanks Fred do some of the Weimar swords also have non maker marked blades ?.

Mike

Ok thanks Fred do some of the Weimar swords also have non maker marked blades ?.

Mike
    Mike, Weimar era is something that I have collected, but it's not really one of my specialties. That said, I don't see why businesses would not have followed earlier practices because we know that the TR era saw 'no maker' blades. What the later part of the Weimar era did see was the adoption by the German Army of a universal pattern Officer's saber that was carried over into the TR era. Best Regards, Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast