Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial Infantry Sword

Article about: Hello, I purchased a sword from a dealer but they sent this one instead by accident. I'm thinking however to just keep this one (if the dealer is ok with that) as it looks like a nice one bu

Thumbs up Imperial Infantry Sword

Hello, I purchased a sword from a dealer but they sent this one instead by accident. I'm thinking however to just keep this one (if the dealer is ok with that) as it looks like a nice one but would like more opinions on it. it does have a unit mark as well, does anybody know what the unit is?
    thanks
    john

Imperial Infantry SwordImperial Infantry SwordImperial Infantry SwordImperial Infantry SwordImperial Infantry SwordImperial Infantry SwordImperial Infantry SwordImperial Infantry SwordImperial Infantry SwordImperial Infantry SwordImperial Infantry SwordImperial Infantry SwordImperial Infantry Sword

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial Infantry Sword
    P
    Many

Statistically Württemberg is much scarcer than the other larger German states so this one IMO is perhaps more desirable than an equal quality example from one of the others (all things being equal). That said, the unit marking seems to be the Reserve Württembergische Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 180 (Brigade) part of the XIII Armee Korps. Best Regards, Fred

Hi John, As Fred says, this is a far scarcer sword than its Prussian equivalent and it appears to be in very nice condition. The unit markings are also a very nice addition!! It is a pitty that the grip wrap is loose but this can be remedied fairly easily if you wish? The oval pommel nut secures directly to the blade tang and when removed will enable you to remove the pommel cap. you can then lift the whole hilt from the tang. The grip wrap is secured to the grip by a small peg located in the back of the grip under the cap. There is a similar peg located under the ferrule.

What I would do:

1. Decide which peg to remove.
    2. Make sure that the opposite peg is secure or even put a small spot of Aroldite on it to maintain its integrity.
    3. Remove loose peg.
    4. Have a replacement peg or a cocktail stick to hand.
    5. There are usually three strands of wire which should be re wrapped individually.
    6. Secure each strand by inserting the end into the hole and inserting the cocktail stick.
    7. When all three strands are secure in the hole either press the tip of the stick into the hole and snap it off or secure the wire and tip of the stick with a small spot of glue.
    8. If any of the strands are snapped, I would suggest that you cut a small length off, take it to a hardware store and buy some similar wire of a matched guage.
    9. If the strand is formed by two srands twisted together then you may have to anneal the new wire to soften it before twisting two strands together.
    10. To anneal the wire, heat to cherry red and allow to cool naturally.
    11. To achieve a regular and smooth twist, anchor the centre of a length of wire around a nail or door handle etc. Put both ends into a drill chuck, select which way you want to wind the wire and use the drill. Check the new wire regularly against the original to get the twist to match.
    12. Re assemble the sword and lightly clean the wrap with metal polish in order to create a uniform finish.

Assuming that you have kept the sword, the I hope that this helps you.

Cheers Micjhael R