Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Imperial / weimar justice or prison oficial sword?

Article about: MOD I'm putting this here in addn. to imperial forum hope it's ok http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imperi...1/#post1821359

?

Default Imperial / weimar justice or prison oficial sword?

MOD I'm putting this here in addn. to imperial forum hope it's ok

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...1/#post1821359
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial / weimar justice or prison oficial sword?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial / weimar justice or prison oficial sword?
    P
    Many

My immediate observations with two questions: Straight multi-fullered plain blade with a “P” type knuckle guard, an Eagle head backstrap, a sharkskin grip, and some unknown numbers on the side of the “P” guard. Having a noticeable gap in the fit of the backstop to the knuckle bow - what does the top of the pommel look like? With that said - some Prussian units used Eagle head hilted swords. And the other question being are the numbers in the from of a serial number, or a unit marking? Best Regards, Fred

* (Also posted on the Imperial era forum)

?

thanks a lot, fred. I wonder if the gap is due to shrinkage of the wood or its covering? here are pix of top of eagle's head and the unit (?) markings. note this is over at the WAF as well with some interesting remarks from colleagues. cheers and good weekend!

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    My immediate observations with two questions: Straight multi-fullered plain blade with a “P” type knuckle guard, an Eagle head backstrap, a sharkskin grip, and some unknown numbers on the side of the “P” guard. Having a noticeable gap in the fit of the backstop to the knuckle bow - what does the top of the pommel look like? With that said - some Prussian units used Eagle head hilted swords. And the other question being are the numbers in the from of a serial number, or a unit marking? Best Regards, Fred

* (Also posted on the Imperial era forum)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial / weimar justice or prison oficial sword?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Imperial / weimar justice or prison oficial sword?  Imperial / weimar justice or prison oficial sword?  Imperial / weimar justice or prison oficial sword? 

?

note the tang's screw-head cover filled with solder. nice finishing touch by someone.

I read the comments on another forum with interest, and here is my additional input on the sword: Police generally wore sabers with curved blades with one fuller, but this one is straight and multi-fullered like the Prussian IOD89 that had a basket type hilt. But there was an exception with the straight bladed multi-fullered blades mounted in what was known as the “Fusilier-Montur” style hilt that most call a “P” guard with just a single knuckle bow. Likewise, the relatively scarce Eagle Head backstrap is seen on some Prussian Officer swords (and a non-related Prussian hunting blade) that were carried by at least two Prussian cavalry regiments - one being the Garde-Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 2, and the other Garde-Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 1.

With the sword as it is now (IMO) obviously not having the benefit of being factory assembled in its current configuration. With one additional factor being the fact that quite few of the formerly obsolete swords in German arsenals that have survived and are in collections now sometimes were reissued, and reissued again and again. Something that can complicate trying to identify markings in general because some armorers seem to have made up their own rules. So if it was in hand I would be looking at all of the small details in trying to figure out just how it was put tother, and for what purpose. Best Regards, Fred

?

fred - please, what is the correct, or closest to correct identification for this piece wouold you say? thanks again for all, dw

Quote by vady View Post
    fred - please, what is the correct, or closest to correct identification for this piece wouold you say? thanks again for all, dw
    So far I’m unable to find a direct match, so the process of elimination may be the best approach. Combining the various inputs - the Mecklenburg Eagle Head artillery has been suggested, but it has a couple of problems. Both the multi and single branch knuckle bow types are in a “C” configuration (not a “P”), they are both sabers with curved blades, and both have the exploding bomb symbol/badge on the langet. Likewise the “Gendarmerie” approach has its own problems. The foot Gendarmerie was authorized the IOD89, the horse mounted Gendarmerie either the M52/79 saber or the “P” guard Lion Head saber. And state officials an Eagle Head Degen. So I think that we can rule out those groups who have been accounted for as the search continues. Best Regards, Fred

Clarification: The exploding (or flaming) bomb on the langet looked something like this. Best Regards, Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images Imperial / weimar justice or prison oficial sword? 

?

MOST interesting, fred. thank'ee kindly as ever, dw

?

The pommel i.e eagle head resembles the so called Armistice saber - just a side note.
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast