Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Importing a Sword or Dagger into the United Kingdom.

Article about: Importing a Sword or Dagger into the United Kingdom. Does anyone know if VAT (value added tax) is chargeable on a sword or dagger (general militaria) imported into the UK and if so, is it on

Default Importing a Sword or Dagger into the United Kingdom.

Importing a Sword or Dagger into the United Kingdom.

Does anyone know if VAT (value added tax) is chargeable on a sword or dagger (general militaria) imported into the UK and if so, is it on the buying price? Many thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Importing a Sword or Dagger into the United Kingdom.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Importing a Sword or Dagger into the United Kingdom.

Yes

VAT is charged on top of the declared value and shipping costs.

If the item is over 100 years old it should qualify for a reduced rate of VAT which I think is currently 5%. Proof of age should be provided.

Quote by Richie B View Post
    Yes

VAT is charged on top of the declared value and shipping costs.

If the item is over 100 years old it should qualify for a reduced rate of VAT which I think is currently 5%. Proof of age should be provided.
    Richie, Thanks for getting back to me. As VAT is currently 20% that's a hefty additional sum to find!

?

20% is a huge hike, its all but killed off my American purchases. Gifts of low value are not charged VAT though. I am lucky enough to have friends in the States who will send me a gift or two on my birthday, etc.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

at 20% vat ,add in the postal /shipping charges insurance and if you have purchased at auction the almost universal buyers fees it dosent make economic sense to purchase much from the states in my opinion.....pavel

?

I received this as a gift for my birthday. Sorry about this bad photography and the greens are really off colour, the straps are OD3. I had to use the flash as it is dark outside. Yes, it is original.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Importing a Sword or Dagger into the United Kingdom.  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Thanks to everyone who posted their thoughts and I think that's a terrific gift!

20% is a terrible huge additional fee when buying something big ticket like an SS tunic, for example. It's little wonder that they say that nearly half of all sales like these deliberately falsify the values to try to avoid such costs, but the risks involved are considerable if ever nailed at it! The States may have their faults, but at least we don't have such a thing here.....yet.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."