Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

LAPO commemorative sabre?

Article about: I have this early Eickhorn sabre with commemorative blade etch panel for a unit of the Munich LAPO. The blade spine has a local Munich distributor's name. I guess that it might have been int

Default LAPO commemorative sabre?

I have this early Eickhorn sabre with commemorative blade etch panel for a unit of the Munich LAPO. The blade spine has a local Munich distributor's name. I guess that it might have been intended to commemorate for former members the transfer of their particular LAPO unit to the Heer? Still has a Bavarian portepee tied on to the hilt. The sabre is in very nice condition and retains virtually all of the original finishes.

LAPO commemorative sabre?LAPO commemorative sabre?LAPO commemorative sabre?LAPO commemorative sabre?LAPO commemorative sabre?LAPO commemorative sabre?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement LAPO commemorative sabre?
    P
    Many

Hi, I think that you have a very attractive an unusual sword, congratulations. It looks totally original to me and if I am correct, then I would suggest the following. My knowledge of the German Police is limited but the Landespolizei or Land Police was absorbed into the Ordnungspolizei in 1936 and your sword appears to be a very early brass Eickhorn, ergo of pre amalgamation manufacture? A number of local police forces adopted army pattern sabres as dress sidearms and I would suggest that yours is one supplied locally for a member of the Munich PD. Does it have and serial numbers or details anywhere on it?? With its absorption into the ORPO, the Police Degen would have become the dress weapon for the original owner so perhaps he had the blade etched to commemorate his service with his original unit. Or perhaps he was conscripted into the military? Or retired and the sword with etching was presented to him. However, if the latter suggestion is the case then I would have expected to see a name and date?

In any event, a very attractive item. Possibly worth writing to the HQ of the Munich Police to check out the department detailed on the blade, you never know, from their records they may be able to ID the owner if it was a small department???

Cheers Michael R