Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Metre Long German Sword - Any Information

Article about: Hi Everyone, Do members have have any information on this sword. Its one metre long in the scabbard, I think it maybe cavalry parade sword, only guessing, what do members think? There is a s

?

Default Metre Long German Sword - Any Information

Hi Everyone,
    Do members have have any information on this sword. Its one metre long in the scabbard, I think it maybe cavalry parade sword, only guessing, what do members think? There is a stamp marking, which to my eyes looks like a crown over a figure 8 under this stamping it looks as if the makers name has been ground out. The blade has ornate etchings on both sides along a good length of its sides. Any information appreciated.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Metre Long German Sword - Any Information   Metre Long German Sword - Any Information  

Metre Long German Sword - Any Information   Metre Long German Sword - Any Information  

Metre Long German Sword - Any Information  
    Attached Images Attached Images Metre Long German Sword - Any Information 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Metre Long German Sword - Any Information
    P
    Many

Default Re: Metre Long German Sword - Any Information

AlecH

To my eyes, that looks very French - possibly a Model 1822 Cavalry sword.

The Crown/B in a circle looks like a Poincon de Controle which is a French inspectors's stamp. This particular mark was in use in the 1830s on swords made by the Manufacture de Klingenthal Coulaux ainé et Cie .

The US Model 1840 sabre follows the same design.

Regards

Richie

?

Hello RitcheB,
    Thanks for your post, it was the only one, nevertheless very informative, it seems to have just about covered everything I wanted to know about the sword and a bit more besides. The inspectors stamp appears crucial, gives the makers name & a degree of certainty as to the year of production. Thanks once again.
    Regards
    AlecH

Hi Alec,

The engraving on the blade and the icanthus leaves on the hand guard indicate that this was an officers sword, other ranks were much plainer. Furthermore, the icanthus leaves were not used until 1840. Prior to that the decoration used was roses. It's hard to say positively, but this sword could be an 1825 model.

regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Hello Ned,
    Thanks for your post - couple of interesting points in it. Actually a bit of icing on the cake - officers sword and the sword dating by means of the icanthus leaves etchings. Learning all the time. Once again thanks for the posting.
    Best Wishes
    Alec