Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Officer/NCO Sword? Need help!

Article about: Hi. This sword is for sale at an local auction in a couple of days and just by judging this picture, what kind of sword is it? There is only one picture available unfortunately.... They said

Default Officer/NCO Sword? Need help!

Hi.

This sword is for sale at an local auction in a couple of days and just by judging this picture, what kind of sword is it?

There is only one picture available unfortunately....

They said that the sword is marked "Robert Klaas, solingen" and that is 92 cm long.

I dont know the starting price so it would be good to know what a sword in this condition might be worth. So that i'm not payin an overprice.

Hope that the pic is atleast some help.

Attachment 160694

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Officer/NCO Sword? Need help!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Officer/NCO Sword? Need help!

Army officer/NCO saber. Manufactured by Robert Klaas firm. Pattern number Nr. 237. The saber appears to have issue with the grip wire. More photos would also help ascertain if there are any other issues.

Tom

Thanks for replyin Tom!

Sorry I don't got anymore pictures.

The auction is on Tuesday and I will be able to look at the items 1 hour before it starts. So any value guidance for a sword like this would be super

On local auctions like this the prices can be good if you know what you're buyin'

Hi Anton,
    No problem. PM me and i'll give you my opinion on value.

The Klaas Nr 237 is not a very common saber. It's not rare, but conversely, it's not easy to find. I also own this pattern, and what I find funny is the grip ferrule. Notice how the example you posted has an off colored grip ferule. Clearly it was manufactured out fo a different alloy or a different ratios of the various metals used. At anyrate, this age discoloration on the the 237 grip ferule, caused by oxidation, is almost always appearant on these. Perhaps Fred can further elaborate since he has a background in metallurgy.

It's a good looking sword, and from what I can see, the grip wire is probably the biggest issue. There may be some problems with the celluloid grip, but I can't say without more pics. Photographs of celluloid grips can create mirag es. if there are any surface variations, it makes the photo look skewed- the result of the glossy and shiney appearance.

*** I forgot to add we really need to see the blade. Deciding whether to bid on an auction or not is very difficult when we only have 1 photograph to judge from. See if you can get additional photos from the seller or the auction house. The grip is missing 2 sets of grip wire as well, and it's VERY difficult to rewire a lionhead saber.
    Tom
    Last edited by Swordfish; 12-06-2010 at 12:46 AM.