MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Preußischer Artilleriesäbel n/A (M1856)

Article about: Thought I would share my Preußischer Artilleriesäbel n/A (M1856)! It is an F.W. Holler made in 1916. It has been marked 1920(in accordance with the treaty of Vesailles) and marked 1 over wha

?

Default Preußischer Artilleriesäbel n/A (M1856)

Thought I would share my Preußischer Artilleriesäbel n/A (M1856)! It is an F.W. Holler made in 1916. It has been marked 1920(in accordance with the treaty of Vesailles) and marked 1 over what looks like used to be a 6 /R.R.6.258. If I am decyphering it correctly,I assume that is for the Weimer formation: 1st eskadron(squadron) of the 6th Reiter-Regiment(cavalry) weapon 258 out of Pomerania.

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Preußischer Artilleriesäbel n/A (M1856)   Preußischer Artilleriesäbel n/A (M1856)  

Preußischer Artilleriesäbel n/A (M1856)   Preußischer Artilleriesäbel n/A (M1856)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Preußischer Artilleriesäbel n/A (M1856)
    P
    Many

?

Big "LIKE" for that one!
    Nice hefty blade on that. Most definitely for field use and not for parades .

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hmmm Interestting..... Some Mid to late period RZM daggers are marked with a production year on their blades...why would the treaty of Versailles have a post war date put on the sabel? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

The sword was made in 1916 and issued during WWI to the 6th Reiter-Regiment. After signing the Treaty of Versailles Germany had to reduce and reorganize their army and navy to the limits agreed upon therein, being 100,000 men in the army, 15,000 for the navy, no air force, etc. The marking of 1920 showed that this weapon was inventoried and accounted for within the terms of the treaty.

Jim

?

I should also mention that you will find the 1920 marking on bayonets, pistols rifles, etc. as well, though this marking is rare to find on weapons. When Germany started rearming, the mark would be removed during an armory refit/refinish.

Jim

Great Info Jim The Treaty of Versailles was a thorn in Germanys side at that time..and most likely enjoyed removing those markings..only later on icing the cake with the Fall of Paris.

Preußischer Artilleriesäbel n/A (M1856) Preußischer Artilleriesäbel n/A (M1856)
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The saber that Jim posted is a scarcely seen IMO Weimar era example still with its unit markings. Also being scarce IMO because circa 1916 is when they switched to wood grips prior to discontinuing production (the later Wehrmacht/Heer armory reworked now-cavalry sabers were refurbished with new wood grips being a separate matter). As for the 1920 markings it's a mixed bag, also seen with various pistols and rifles etc. With one of my immediate recollections being that there has been some discussion as it regarded a bounty paid out for turning in weapons of war (the Allies desire being to disarm or at least reduce the amount of arms in circulation - and we don't want to forget the fighting between the right and left factions). And weapons going in the front door only to "leak" out the back. But once the bounty was paid and they were inventoried (and a date stamp added) it was going to be a lot harder to repeat the getting paid for turning in weapons for cash process. Best Regards, Fred

Hello,
    Jim, you have very nice saber in very good condition. I just remember when I was young I find same saber in old abandoned barn before demolition, I was about 10 years old and then I bought two beers for owner Later I find same saber and purchased it too, but with bakelite grips, firs one has wooden grip covered with leather... Both sabers has same rust and certainly were use by German troops in east front during World war.

I add some quick photos of my wall

Thanks for showing this saber to us!

Best regards Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Preußischer Artilleriesäbel n/A (M1856)   Preußischer Artilleriesäbel n/A (M1856)  

?

Nice wall-o-weapons you've got there Peter I have one other, made in 1897 by Carl Kaiser & co. It is marked to an ammunition column attached to 10th Army out of Hannover if I remember correctly. The scabbards are a little different and the Kaiser has the leather wrapped grip, but both are heavy hacking weapons. I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one of these!

Jim

Preußischer Artilleriesäbel n/A (M1856)   Preußischer Artilleriesäbel n/A (M1856)