Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Someone help me with some history maybe..... silver lion's head sword

Article about: When my grandfather returned from Germany among the items he brought back is a silver lion's head dress sword. I have found many examples of this blade online, and the one major difference t

bsanders80
    ?

Default Someone help me with some history maybe..... silver lion's head sword

When my grandfather returned from Germany among the items he brought back is a silver lion's head dress sword. I have found many examples of this blade online, and the one major difference that I see between this one and those. The blade of the sword which my grandfather returned with is etched very beautifully, a very nice oak leaf scrolling with what appears to be a code of arms and some other symbolism. The cross-guard also is inscribed with the name A. Thelmur ( the last two letters are a bit worn so could be as far off as a mer,meh, muh) Didn't know if this name might ring a bell with someone, such as yourselves, who is more adept with the history of such items. Trying to convince my Dad to let me take some pictures of it, but he's a little paranoid about having his stuff posted online. As I said before though any information or history on this item would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Someone help me with some history maybe..... silver lion's head sword

Very hard to give any information or evaluation without photos. Use a photo imaging program that will allow you to watermark your photos and tell him that only portions will be posted.
    Just a suggestion, hope this helps,
    Ralph.
    Last edited by rbminis; 02-20-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Default Re: Someone help me with some history maybe..... silver lion's head sword

Does it have a maker mark (name) near or under the crossguard? this would also help to ID the sword cheers Ronnie

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Having an etched panel on the blade of the sword was an optional extra which the Officer could choose to add to his purchase. This does make the item more desirable.

A photo would be good to see. As advised, watermark your pic if your Dad is concerned.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Photos friend photos.Always send clear photos of items! No one here can help you with just text! Goodbuys PS. You appear to have a presentation piece which can be a very historic sword and worth a good dollar!

Having a coat of arms could even suggest an Imperial era, or export model sword. But as the others have said without pictures it's a guessing game as to the origin of the sword. FP