Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Sword knot Prinz Eugen help please.

Article about: Just got this decent Prinz Eugen sword, it came with the SS knot shown, I am unsure if sword knot is real or repro, but either way sword was a good deal. Can anyone give me any input on the

?

Default SS Sword knot Prinz Eugen help please.

Just got this decent Prinz Eugen sword, it came with the SS knot shown, I am unsure if sword knot is real or repro, but either way sword was a good deal.
    Can anyone give me any input on the knot, I have put it on the WAF as well just trying to get a few good opinions.
    Thanks Neil
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Sword knot Prinz Eugen  help please.   SS Sword knot Prinz Eugen  help please.  

SS Sword knot Prinz Eugen  help please.   SS Sword knot Prinz Eugen  help please.  

SS Sword knot Prinz Eugen  help please.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Sword knot Prinz Eugen  help please.
    P
    Many

A very nice PE, congrats. The knot is at best controversial. Does not belong with this nice original sabre, imho.

?

Thanks mate happy with sword, Nearly got full field Marshall set, just need a Lutzow and a Zeiten, should have a nice Zeiten soon, but the Lutzow may take a while to find.
    Neil

?

Very nice Prinz Eugen sword, i love the 2 eagle pattern of these swords but IMO the knot is a decent repro.

Cheers,
    Ger

?

I dont think knot is a repro as such, there are old threads showing these knots as the real deal, plus several big dealers UK and US selling the sword with this knot at well over the grand mark, one uk dealer is selling the knot alone for £250, the consensus on WAF is there was no evidence this knot was used during the 3rd reich period by the SS. But older threads are getting thumbs, love to know who the made the decision that this knot went from good to bad.
    So a couple of years ago knot might have been given thumbs up, now its a fantasy item as its not copy of a real item, construction wise knot is pretty good.
    So I think I will keep the knot it may become accepted as 3rd reich again one day:-)

Quote by Jenko View Post
    I dont think knot is a repro as such, there are old threads showing these knots as the real deal, plus several big dealers UK and US selling the sword with this knot at well over the grand mark, one uk dealer is selling the knot alone for £250, the consensus on WAF is there was no evidence this knot was used during the 3rd reich period by the SS. But older threads are getting thumbs, love to know who the made the decision that this knot went from good to bad.
    So a couple of years ago knot might have been given thumbs up, now its a fantasy item as its not copy of a real item, construction wise knot is pretty good.
    So I think I will keep the knot it may become accepted as 3rd reich again one day:-)
    I believe you have a good attitude regarding the knot. There is too much bad information on the internet. One person who may or may not have any credibility can make a statement as to originality of an item and the great masses take that post as gospel. You have a very nice sword.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Jenko the general opinions of items can change along times thats true, also the fact that there is a lot learned inbetween, as internet reveales a lot.
    What im Always looking for in a knot is a certain age, second are there flattened fibers, third is the shape perfect.
    Sorry to say but i cant find any of the things im looking for in this one.
    Then again nothing beats an in hand inspection, and again this is MY opinion
    Regards,
    Ger

?

To be honest its a well made knot but I have no reason to suspect its real, someone stated that they appeared all of sudden in the 70's, i was a little boy then so would not have noticed, but I suspect this is true. I have 20 WW2 German swords at the moment, half of them have knots and 80% of those knots display ware and the effects of age. I have researched this knot and found several samples available and none show serious age or ware so its not really rocket science to arrive at the probably correct decision of them not being 3rd reich era.
    Most important thing is the Sword was still cheap even with this knot and a very good example it is to. Will be looking for an Heer knot and hanger to compliment it properly;-)
    Neil