Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Sword identification please

Article about: All I know about this sword is that it was brought back from WW2 by a friend of my grandfather. I know he served in France and Germany but I don' t know if that's where he acquired it or how

Default Sword identification please

Sword identification pleaseSword identification pleaseAll I know about this sword is that it was brought back from WW2 by a friend of my grandfather. I know he served in France and Germany but I don' t know if that's where he "acquired" it or how old it was when he got it. It has been suggested that it is a British naval dress sword - any thoughts please regarding date, service/country etc?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sword identification please
    P
    Many

Default re: Sword identification please

No, this is a WW2 Heer (Germany Army) officers sword.

I have moved the thread to the correct forum for you.

Others will be able to tell you the exact pattern etc.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default Re: Sword identification please

Hi plbramham it looks like you have a Eickhorn (the maker) Cavalry officers saber model 1324, very nice item
    hope this helps
    cheers Ronnie

As to refining the time period, if the hilt is magnetic it might be a little later in the TR era versus early. That's because underneath where the gilt is missing I seem to be seeing aged iron instead of brass. Or maybe it's just the lighting?? Is there the possibility of one or two more photos? FP

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    As to refining the time period, if the hilt is magnetic it might be a little later in the TR era versus early. That's because underneath where the gilt is missing I seem to be seeing aged iron instead of brass. Or maybe it's just the lighting?? Is there the possibility of one or two more photos? FP
    I have never thought that it was brass so I reckon aged iron is correct. Until you said, I would not have thought of testing for magnetism, but I tried with a pin and I believe that I can detect a faint trace. The blade is 31.5 inches long and has no engraving or marks on it. I have never known it to have a scabbard. Am I correct in thinking it would have been black painted steel? Heres some more photos Thanks very much for your help. (Do you have a photo/details of a simliar example?). Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword identification please   Sword identification please  

Sword identification please   Sword identification please  

Sword identification please  

Hi, you are correct. A black enamel painted steel scabbard.

Swords come in different lengths to suit different height soldiers.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Paul, Thank you for the additional photos which confirmed what I seemed to be seeing. I have iron hilted swords, but they tend to be earlier as compared to the TR era examples. With (at least in my experience) the TR examples being relatively scarce, as something that was forced on makers due to the restrictions placed on makers to conserve scarce strategic metals for military uses (like copper). Who then had to seek other alternatives like zinc. Best Regards, FP