Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sword Langets - An Aid to Manufacturer Identification -- Eagles of the TR

Article about: Hi All, This is an experimental thread intended to do what it says on the tin or rather in the title. As a sword collector myself, I have noted the relatively large number of swords that tur

Default Sword Langets - An Aid to Manufacturer Identification -- Eagles of the TR

Hi All, This is an experimental thread intended to do what it says on the tin or rather in the title. As a sword collector myself, I have noted the relatively large number of swords that turn up devoid of any manufacturer's title or logo. When these swords do turn up you can almost guarantee that your thought process will kick in and tell you "I've seen that eagle on this langet before now where was it? OR it could be the design on the reverse langet. In any event, which ever it is you then trawl through all your swords and sword books until either you are exausted or you find the sword or illustration in question. A lot of time and a lot of effort only to find -- nothing, unless unlike me, you are very lucky!

Well the intention here is to Identify as many manufacturers or parts manufacturers of unatributed swords as I can. Needless-to-say, this list will never be completed as who knows how many variations there are out there but, if it helps us to identify even a few of these swords then the thread will have achieved its goal or at least in part.

My intention was to list by manufacturer as in the other sword thread currently running so that the two threads would run concurrently and support/complement each other. However, I rapidly realised that that method of listing would still involve a lot of trawling ie. from manufacturer to manufacturer then through all the swords of each. So, after a bit of thinking and a bit of logic I came to the conclusion that the best method of listing would be by the obverse design of the langet. Hence the title "Eagles of the TR" ergo the first stab at this subject will include only langets that bear a TR Eagle (and swastika).

Finally, I will also include ferrule designs as these too come in a number of variations and even metals. So if you notice the same eagle on several swords, it is because either the reverse langet, the metal, the pommel type or ferrule etc is different.

Please Please Please, if you disagree with any of my comments or can qualify them or even just want a chat or whatever, feel free to post your comments or PM me. As I have stated before, I am no expert but I am willing to share knowlede.

With thanks, regards and best wishes Michael Ryan
    Last edited by Michael Ryan; 10-07-2014 at 02:05 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sword Langets - An Aid to Manufacturer Identification --  Eagles of the TR
    P
    Many

1. Sword 128 by Alexander Coppel, ALCOSO, ACS. Political Eagle.

Sword Langets - An Aid to Manufacturer Identification --  Eagles of the TR

Last edited by Michael Ryan; 11-08-2014 at 02:47 PM.

2. Sword 126 by Alexander Coppel, ALCOSO, ACS. Political Eagle.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword Langets - An Aid to Manufacturer Identification --  Eagles of the TR   Sword Langets - An Aid to Manufacturer Identification --  Eagles of the TR  

Last edited by Michael Ryan; 11-08-2014 at 02:49 PM.

3. Sword 134 by Alexander Coppel, ALCOSO, ACS. Military Eagle. Note Reverse langet, ferrule and cross guard edge of identical style to Sword 1.

Sword Langets - An Aid to Manufacturer Identification --  Eagles of the TRSword Langets - An Aid to Manufacturer Identification --  Eagles of the TRSword Langets - An Aid to Manufacturer Identification --  Eagles of the TR

4. Sword 167 by Alexander Coppel, ALCOSO, ACS. Political Eagle. Note ferrule made from steel and gilded. Cross guard assembly identical to Sword 2.

Sword Langets - An Aid to Manufacturer Identification --  Eagles of the TRSword Langets - An Aid to Manufacturer Identification --  Eagles of the TRSword Langets - An Aid to Manufacturer Identification --  Eagles of the TR

5. Sword 78 by Carl Eickhorn CE. Political Eagle. Note this hilt is built around a Prinz Eugen backstrap and ferrule. See Sword 6 below.

6. Sword 132 by Carl Eickhorn CE. Political Eagle. This is the Field Marshal series Prinz Eugen sword. See also Sword 5. above

7. Sword 135 by Carl Eickhorn CE. Political Eagle. This is the Field Marshal series Blucher Sword.

8. Sword 158 by Carl Eickhorn CE. Military Eagle. This is the Field Marshal series Rune Sword. Note the ferrule is identical to Sword 9. below.

9. Sword 172 by Carl Eickhorn CE. Military Eagle. This is the Field Marshal series Stein Sword. Note the ferrule is identical to that on Sword 8. above.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast