Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Swords of the Third Reich, Imperial through 1945 - Quick Reference

Article about: Cheers Larry!!!!! Regards Michael R

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi Fred, I agree with all you have said!! And thanked you accordingly. It is a shame that we live on different sides of the pond as I love to see your collection. In the last year, I have only acquired three swords one being the Kinder. Nice examples are hard to find and then bloody expensive!! Take care and happy hunting.
    Regards Michael
    Michael, I'm sure that looking at your collection would be and is a feast for the eyes. Agreeing that the search now is a lot more expensive and harder. That said, what I think might have made a trip across the pond more worthwhile was about 10 or 12 years ago - if you were to look at the combined collections including that of a very good friend of mine (and competitor) whose collection I think probably more closely mirrored yours. With Best Regards, Fred

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Swords of the Third Reich, Imperial through 1945 - Quick Reference
    P
    Many

Luke Monette
    ?

Im sorry but i forgot to note mine doesn't have the engraving on the blade

J Lucas
    ?

I have very much enjoyed reading your posts and can only imagine how long it took to actually create them. I have recently acquired a sword nearly identical to sword 81 and am very much interested in the history of it. Unfortunately I won't be able to post any pictures right now. My initial research indicated that it was from WWI era but the blade has a swastika on it which means it was post 1920. The etching on the blade also has a battleship (possibly U-boat) and a biplane, which is something I have not been able to find any information about. I understand that the blades are etched with various designs but has anyone ever seen one with similar designs on it?

Quote by J Lucas View Post
    I have very much enjoyed reading your posts and can only imagine how long it took to actually create them. I have recently acquired a sword nearly identical to sword 81 and am very much interested in the history of it. Unfortunately I won't be able to post any pictures right now. My initial research indicated that it was from WWI era but the blade has a swastika on it which means it was post 1920. The etching on the blade also has a battleship (possibly U-boat) and a biplane, which is something I have not been able to find any information about. I understand that the blades are etched with various designs but has anyone ever seen one with similar designs on it?
    Hello and welcome to the forum!
    The first 4 or 5 posts in this thread will tell you how to post photos here.
    Ralph.
    New picture posting feature - How to guide !
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Fred, Thank you for your latest post. Also appologies for my very delayed response, I totally missed it!!
    Cheers Michael

Hi J, Thank you for your post and the description of your naval sword. From what you say, I would say that the weapon is post 1933 or possibly, but unlikely, a post 1918 Weimar period weapon with the addition of the swastika and could be either a private purchase item (Most likely) or possibly an ordnance issue item. Does the chape (scabbard foot) or reverse folding guard have any stampings (for instance "O 123 etc") or are they clean? The reverse guard may have the owner's name engraved? The etching on the blade usually comprises a "bow on" capitol ship with mast head flag. Etching also includes anchors and foliage etc. If you can post photos of the hilt , pommel, guards, etchings and trade mark etc, I will hopefully be in a better position to advise you.

You have what sounds like a nice sword and I/we would be very happy to see it.

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for your kind comments.

With thanks, regards and best wishes Michael Ryan.

Hi rbminis, Thank you for your input and advice for our new member J Lucas!!!
    Regards Michael R

Quote by J Lucas View Post
    I have very much enjoyed reading your posts and can only imagine how long it took to actually create them.
    Hello Lucas..Welcome to the forum. I can boldy say that I have not seen any other forum that has to offer the incredible work of Mr. Ryan and how he as brought forth in detail in study and photos Swords of the Third Reich. The WRF is grateful for his continued presence.

When the opportunity arises ..the forum would also benefit to see your sword. Take your time.we will always be here. Enjoy your stay

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry, You old smoothy!! You realy do say the sweetest things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you

Regards Michael!!

Sword 517

Hi All, This next sword is presented for view and also to pass opinion on. I traded it from one of our fellow Forum members as a Prussian Cavalry sabre but to date have been unable to identify it. Imperial utilitarian swords and edged weapons are not realy my field, ergo, my knowledge and references are pretty limited. My request is that if you can identify the sword as a German Military weapon and/or the State Army to which it belonged, I would be most grateful? Alternatively, if it is an export model then for export to whom? Your opinions are most welcome please.

a. Hilt. Natural steel without a back strap attached directly to the blade tang using a single nut at the pommel. The grip is formed from a composite material with a pair of steel machine screws and nuts. Unmarked.
    b. Obverse Langet. Not applicable.
    c. Reverse langet. Not applicable.
    d. Pommel. Natural steel cap secured directly to the blade tang. Unmarked.
    e. Blade. The blade is plane natural polished steel with a "pipe back" spine.
    f. Scabbard. Typical Imperial style steel scabbard with single fixed ring suspension and fitting with a rectangular suspension loop to rear.
    g. Rarity. Not known
    h. Blade Markings. Royal cypher surmounted by a crown. Not recognised.
    i. Trade Marks. Blade reverse stamped "CARL EICKHORN" in an arc above "SOLINGEN" in a flat line. According to the narative given in the excellent book "The sword and bayonet makers of Imperial Germany 1871.1918", was used between 1865 and 1886 prior to being re titled to "Carl Eickhorn and Company". There are no Regimental marking on either the sword or the scabbard.

1. The sword as described above in its scabbard.

2. Ditto out of scabbard, both shown.

3. Hilt obverse elevation.

4. Hilt reverse elevation.

5. Hilt knuckle guard.

6. Hilt pommel.

7. Cypher on blade spine.

8. Ditto.

9. Manufacturer's trade mark on blade reverse.
    Last edited by Michael Ryan; 01-31-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast