Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Swords of the Third Reich, Imperial through 1945 - Quick Reference

Article about: Cheers Larry!!!!! Regards Michael R

Hello Michael, I'm short on time this morning so this will be very brief and from memory. A scarce one, the saber in question like some WW I bayonets, is a re-purposed export contract of a cavalry saber that was purchased by Prussia and issued (from the few examples that are unit marked) to a limited number of artillery units. In effect being an ersatz model like many of the re-issued early period swords, which is a good thing for preserving history - versus being scrapped. Best Regards, Fred

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Swords of the Third Reich, Imperial through 1945 - Quick Reference
    P
    Many

Hi Fred, Thank you for your comments on this sword. Coincidentally, I found another one on the net which describes it as a Prussian ersatz model Cavalry sabre and attributes it to the Artillery (mounted I would presume??). They do not mention export but what you say makes perfect sense!! One last question though, do you recognise the cypher? It looks nothing like the Prussian cyphers that I can find? Also does it have a pattern name or date??

Thank you for your input once again Fred!!

Cheers Michael

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi Fred, Thank you for your comments on this sword. Coincidentally, I found another one on the net which describes it as a Prussian ersatz model Cavalry sabre and attributes it to the Artillery (mounted I would presume??). They do not mention export but what you say makes perfect sense!! One last question though, do you recognise the cypher? It looks nothing like the Prussian cyphers that I can find? Also does it have a pattern name or date??

Thank you for your input once again Fred!!

Cheers Michael
    Hello Michael, Researching the Prussian unit markings, as you've correctly assumed it was the horse mounted field artillery. With cyphers for example seen on the presumed Chinese contract M1907 Mauser bayonets from Haenel I'm not sure if they are the same (said bayonets retained for German use). With another piece of the puzzle being a (maker) generic prewar catalog listing a very similar hilted sword as a Mannschafts-saber, also being listed the same way in an Eickhorn catalog for Latin America. All of which led to the supposition that they are from an export contract that was never shippped to the originally intended user. Best Regards, Fred

?

Michael you have a quite extensive and beautiful collection of Imperial and Third Reich swords. Several rarities and a few I have never seen. Thank you for sharing your collection. May I ask how you display such a large collection if in fact you are able to display them?

Hummel

Hi Fred, Thank you once again for your response to my request!! Although the cypher on the blade look Germanic, I still have failed to ID it but all this information is very useful and trusted!!
    Cheers Michael

Hi Hummel, Thank you very much for your kind words. I am glad that you have seen swords that are of interest to you on the threads.

With regards to your question, yes most of my German swords are on display all be it cramped as space is at a premium in my house. I thought about how to answer your second question re display and bogged myself down. So working on the theory that a picture is worth a thousand words, decided to show you. So here goes:

Hope you find these of interest Hummel. My man cave!!! LOL

Regards and best wishes Michael

Simply outstanding 👍👍👍

?

Your pictures are truly worth thousands of words Michael!! To quote a movie from my youth..."Awesome......totally awesome!!!". I believe that you have the most extensive German sword, or any nations swords, collection that I have seen inside or outside of a museum... to be fair, I have not been to any of Europes war museums as of yet. So maybe some of them have more. You have done a wonderful job collecting and displaying the swords.
    So I have one more question for you. I am sure this one will drive you a little mad though....which blade is your favorite?

Thank you again for sharing your collection.
    Hummel

?

Exc3ellent! wonder how many of them were faked thru the years

Fantastic collection Michael

Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast