Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Swords of the Third Reich, Imperial through 1945 - Quick Reference

Article about: Cheers Larry!!!!! Regards Michael R

Michael, thank you for your effort detailing your collection. I'm a newbie and came across your post while doing research on a Imperial Navy Sword I inherited from my Grandfather. He brought it back to the USA as a war souvenir. Your post "sword 57 (138)" is nearly identical to mine in every way, including blade etchings, although it lacks any manufactures markings? Can I assume it was made via WKC? Please comment on its collectability. I'm interested in getting it into the hands of someone that would appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Swords of the Third Reich, Imperial through 1945 - Quick Reference
    P
    Many

Hi Sandoeyes, Thank you for your message and for detailing your naval sword. For reasons that I am not aware of, many German and indeed some British swords are/were sold without manufacturer's logos or titles etc. I have a number of WKC unmarked swords and my personal opinion is that they may have been bulk purchases for military outfitters who did not want manufacturer's details on the blades? Or perhaps, the hilt patterns were never patented or owned by the manufacturer? Perhaps, some of their blades were purchased from other blade maufacturers and unmarked? The truth is, I do not know!! Perhaps Fred may have knowledge or some alternative opinions? His in depth knowledge is greater than mine. I have identified a number of my unmarked blades by comparison with known patterns so therefore allocate a probable or likely manufacturer which is what I would do with your item. Ergo probably by WKC! Of the standard Military pattern German swords and sabres etc, the naval patterns are, in my opinion, the most desirable and this is reflected in their values. If you wish to dispose of the sword then you could advertise it on the Forum or send me the details in a PM, and we may be able to conclude a trade?

Sight unseen, it would not be possible to allocate a specific value as condition and completeness are both critical factors ergo, your sword could range from as low as $200 if only good for spares to as high as $1500 or even more! Whilst most collectors like logos, or some who collect to specific manufacturers, in my experience an unmarked blade makes very little if any difference to valuation. At least not to me!!

I am sorry if my response appears a little vague but hope thst it helps you.

With thanks, regards and best wishes Michael

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    For reasons that I am not aware of, many German and indeed some British swords are/were sold without manufacturer's logos or titles etc. I have a number of WKC unmarked swords and my personal opinion is that they may have been bulk purchases for military outfitters who did not want manufacturer's details on the blades? Or perhaps, the hilt patterns were never patented or owned by the manufacturer? Perhaps, some of their blades were purchased from other blade maufacturers and unmarked? The truth is, I do not know!! Perhaps Fred may have knowledge or some alternative opinions? His in depth knowledge is greater than mine. I have identified a number of my unmarked blades by comparison with known patterns so therefore allocate a probable or likely manufacturer which is what I would do with your item. Ergo probably by WKC! Of the standard Military pattern German swords and sabres etc, the naval patterns are, in my opinion, the most desirable and this is reflected in their values.

Michael
    Michael, I'm a little short on time this AM but here are some thoughts: Unmarked swords is something that I used to really wonder about myself with my thinking in many respects paralleling yours. Reflecting on my time in mostly rural parts of northern Germany I came to the conclusion that especially in earlier times it was decentralized military outfitters who probably sold the most swords to what we would now call the 'end user'. And that having unmarked blades allowed them to switch sources at will. With imports and all sorts of other things also coming into the picture sometimes complicating things that also applies to British swords. In much earlier times marked and unmarked German swords going to England, with something of a reversal during the Napoleonic era, and then back to the way it was earlier with timing another factor. German Naval swords essentially a modified version of the British one we come to a fork in the road. British swords following a basic pattern for Officers as did the government purchases in Germany. But the private purchase/free market swords for especially the German Army greatly expanded in the diversity of the different models being sold which continued into the TR era. German makers sometimes acquiring some minimal legal protections for their sword designs, but that was not always the case because some very high grade swords in the Imperial era do not, so that also can vary depending on the time frame. Best Regards, Fred

Hi Fred Thank you very much for your input!!!!! I think that your thoughts and mine are of one accord. Without specific policy documentation, virtually any reason could be plucked out of the air and suggested however, I would be strongly inclined to agree with what you suggest. It all makes sense to me.

Hi Sadoeyes, I hope that Fred's response and mine come at least some way toward explaining the logo anomaly with German swords. A similar situation also occurs with some German daggers and hewers so it is not a peculiarity encountered only on German swords!!

Cheers to you both and many thanks

Michael

Thank you both for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. Your expertise is much appreciated.

Scott

You are very welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Michael

This is a great thread and a lot of work much appreciated have learned a lot! timothy

Regarding Sword 171 post 187; Would have been nice to see the full blade but this is a likely early P1796 Light Cavalry Sabre, British but with a Solingen made blade. J.J Runkel was an interesting character. A German sword trader he set up in London in 1790 and very quickly became a key figure in the sword industry supplying blades to other British makers to add hilts to. In fact in 1796 he became a British subject, no doubt useful to acquire Government contracts. You can see Runkel's name on Scottish basket hilt swords of the early 1800's. In this example from the Mark it can be dated to about 1800-1808, no Board of Ordinance mark suggests either a direct Regiment purchase, (Colonels originally sourced their regiment's weapons) or for a volunteer regiment. A fine example of an early trooper model.

Hi Anderson, Thank you very much for your input on this sabre. Nice to see people are still viewing and, in your case in particular, making very constructive and enlightening comments on this thread!! Your knowledge and input regarding this item is, at least to me, invaluable and I concur with all your points. My personal opinion is, that given the dates which you offer, 1800 to 1808 which I accept without reservation, the sabre is British and most likely to be a regimental purchase item. I have later weapons, ie. Pattern 1888 Lee Metford bayonets devoid of ordnance marking which are, at least to me, undoubtedly militia items whereas, me feeling for the sabre is Regimental????

My understanding from your historical mentioning is that you believe the blade to be of Solingen origin? Given that the sword Pattern is 1796 and Runkel moved to Britain in 1790, is it not more likely that it is UK manufactured blade? Alternatively, did Runkel, although residing in London, continue his German blade production or acquisition until post 1800? Alternatively was he a purveyor and trader rather than a manufacturer and supplier?

Your message has set me thinking, thank you!

If you would like further photos of this weapon, I would be more than happy to add some to this thread???

Thank you for your input on the subject.

With thanks, regards and best wishes MIchael

The Community is Grateful for your presence here Michael
    Great to see you posting !

Cheers Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast