Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cannon power shot S5 IS

Article about: I'm considering getting a new camera , I have a Cannon power Shot S5 IS ( 8 mp ) with is getting old , but it does have a Super Macro lens . It still takes pretty good macro shots . My quest

CBH
    ?

Default Cannon power shot S5 IS

I'm considering getting a new camera , I have a Cannon power Shot S5 IS ( 8 mp ) with is getting old , but it does have a Super Macro lens . It still takes pretty good macro shots . My question is would it be worth while replacing the camera , I only have around 400$ to spend , also will my lens fit a newer body ? Thanks for your time .
    Cheers Chris

Hi CBH,

Doesn't look like the lens is removable to me.

I'd say keep using it. You are already familiar with it and it does good macro shots.

Just watched this video, not a bad camera, some decent features, some flaws...

Canon PowerShot S5 IS review - CNET

A couple of the really good newer cameras are the Panasonic Lumix LX series (Leica lens), and the Sony XP series (Zeiss lens).

I'm a very dedicated Lumix LX5 fan (10MP), very light and easy to use, some really neat features, good lens, absolutely killer close ups, I don't miss my Canon at all, gave it away to a neighbor after getting the Lumix...

If you're on a budget, look at getting last years model from a private party or reputable dealer (B&H Photo is one, there are many). I got mine on feeBay for under $200, like new and the guy had already "accessorized" it. 16GB memory card, two batteries, extra case, etc.

I would go for used rebel with EF type lens - you can get used one with 18-55mm lens for 250-300 in Canada

The 18-55 "kit lenses" that come with Rebel cameras or Nikons are generally reputed to be of very low optical quality. Again, look for a decent used body with an upgraded lens. Review the lens on the internet. Ken Rockwell does nice honest reviews of pretty much any and all pro photo gear out there.

Btw, that is a huge camera and lens combo, so that is something to consider.

Do you want something this big and heavy, or do you want something compact?

Quote by Larboard View Post
    The 18-55 "kit lenses" that come with Rebel cameras or Nikons are generally reputed to be of very low optical quality. Again, look for a decent used body with an upgraded lens. Review the lens on the internet. Ken Rockwell does nice honest reviews of pretty much any and all pro photo gear out there.

Btw, that is a huge camera and lens combo, so that is something to consider.

Do you want something this big and heavy, or do you want something compact?
    I have to disagree - most Rebels come with EFS lenses, which are great. The old EOS 18-55mm lenses were not the best but still better than any non-removable lens.

True, a bigger lens usually has better resolving power than the tiny lenses provided with point n' shoot cameras.

When I had a Canon DSLR, I usually shot with anything other than the "kit lens" anyway, a lot of the time I had a the really slightly older excellent Canon 50 Macro lens on the camera, and that can yield amazing close-ups.

True, some people use EOS to FD adapters to use older FD 50mm lenses on new EF/EFS models.

What I meant by slightly older was probably an EF-S lens I don't remember, but just slightly older and autofocus. I think the FD stuff is manual focus from the old AE-1 and F1? Manual focus lenses are usually all gems, and with tabletop photography you don't need AF.

Back to AF lenses, one thing is for sure, all Canon/Nikon/etc, Macro lenses are simply excellent.

And there are others also, Tamron 90mm is a legend in it's own right.

I find myself never using my DSLR anymore, especially inside the house. I can actually get just as good if not better pics with the Lumix, until you really blow them up that is, then the Lumix falls apart miserably...

But since buying a 300mm lens for my D200 last summer, I wouldn't dream of shooting anything serious outside with the point and shoot. They are ok for candids, pets, and a lot of other things, but serious photography?

Here is something just recently shot with the DSLR/300mm lens. Doesn't pertain to militaria, but shows that it's still hard to beat the bigger cameras.

It's a shot of a rare Pileated Woodpecker decimating the bark on a dying fir tree in search of Bark Beetles. These are the largest woodpeckers in the United States, 18" (46cm) tall!.

Cannon power shot S5 IS

FD is older than EOS, which is older than EF - and then you have EFS.

Tamron is a great. I still used 18-55mm for everyday photos and 50mm for close-ups (rarely).

I have Rebel T3i and I love it :-)

CBH
    ?

Thank you all for the replies , you gave me a lot to think about . It looks like the super macro lens is worth the lower pixels for the short term anyhow . I'll keep a look out for a good used one . Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast