Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Dedicated collector categories for books and paper items

Article about: This may well not be a new suggestion, but I believe it would be in the members‘ interest to devote a category in both the forum and in classified ads exclusively to books and other paper it

Default Dedicated collector categories for books and paper items

This may well not be a new suggestion, but I believe it would be in the members‘ interest to devote a category in both the forum and in classified ads exclusively to books and other paper items, organized by war or era.
    This category would absorb only some, not all, materials now spread around the site and highlight them to members, particularly to collectors with their specialized interests. For starters, I suggest two main categories:

(1) Original items dating from the war period.
    (2) postwar publications. I would also group items by nationality/language of the material. Within each such national group there could be one sub-category for combat operations and another for service manuals, handbooks, maps and documents, such as ID, travel orders, etc.

A second category in the national group would be dedicated to personal memorabilia such as individual photographs and entire albums, letters, diaries and unpublished unit histories. I would like to hear from administrators and others their pros and cons for developing the proposed categories.
    Last edited by Larry C; 05-07-2017 at 10:31 PM.

We are a present looking to change the software which we use for the classified ads.

Once we find a new software app, this is something we can consider.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Do let me say that a separate book category is well and good as are the further normal bibliographical distinctions of: a.) contemporary literature and b.) that from post war and so forth, but we also discuss books in the places where the discussion will likely impact those who need to read them.
    If you put books in a separate category, you might miss those who need a good poking to get them to read in order to be a better collector.

I write books for a living, so I am all in favor of books, to be sure, but here we are actively engaged in raising the level with a heavy hand.
    I also collect historical books.Dedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper items
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 05-07-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Andreas and I know this issue exploded a while ago, but I am not going to abandon my principles. The suggestion from Parsifal is a good one, especially if
    a link can be forged between a bibliography section and the relevant places where bibliography can avail the collector the most.

Anything that reinforces the need for the individual to amass a library is a good thing. The idea that books are obsolete because of Wikipedia or because
    some of us naive saps answer every harebrained question is a foolish and dangerous one.Dedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper itemsDedicated collector  categories for books and paper items

As the originator of the thread, I find the responses encouraging and thank the writers. I hope the Administrator is able to follow-up in the re-do of the software. As we know, books and other paper items are of value in themselves and, has already been noted, in building a private reference library. Unfortunately restrictions in some countries and on other platforms, like amazon and eBay, interfere with the circulation and acquisition of needed items by collectors. warrelics.eu fills an important gap, and widening it with a special books category would benefit us all, I believe.