Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Heur Trojan Virus

Article about: Getting very perturbed as I am finding that as I move around the site that my virus protection programme keeps alerting me to the presence of the above virus. Have had at least 10 alerts in

Well, make that at least *three* people now. I must say that I am quite confident that good defence software (in my case Kaspersky and Malwarebytes) is not letting anything bad through, I completely understand anyone being anxious about the persistent alerts, worried enough to stop visiting. I'm really in two minds about whether there really is a threat or whether it is oversensititvity on the part of Kaspersky, but then people using other software report the same issue.

At times like this I really wish I knew a lot more about this sort of thing, enough to make some useful contribution to a solution rather than just waving my hands ineffectively.

See also this thread -

Mal/HTML Gen A malware warning on this site

which seems to imply a false positive.

One thing I have noticed, that may have no significance, is that I do not get the threat popup activating *every time* I visit, but it mostly does.

My advice comes from 12 years dealing/fixing computers . Can you post a screenshot of the detection window and what are the details of the detection ?

No issues here and I'm using plain old Nortons...

This is what I get - first one being the Kaspersky popup, the others being info derived from that. I have no real doubt that this is a false positive, or at least something that won;t act unless its specifically triggered by clicking-on, but it is reassuring other people without my own fairly long experience that is the problem. (NB - the only sections of the forum I regularly visit are the various helmet-related ones. That may have no significance.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kasperskypopup.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	833832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Steel Helmets -[4].bmp.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	833833

Name:	World Steel Helmets -[5].bmp.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	833834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Detailed Reports.bmp.jpg 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	833831

I am a self confessed apple Fanboy and mainly use a IPad/mini/phone ,
    but do have a HTPC under the 50inch led TV mirrored to 2x 23inch monitors on the desk , with wireless keyboard /mouse so I can browse and type while in recliner Mode on the couch
    My HTPC has a paid subscription of Norton NIS and it does a outstanding job keeping out malware , it runs 24/7 with Twin TV digital tuners , a happy computer is a happy me .

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    This is what I get - first one being the Kaspersky popup, the others being info derived from that. I have no real doubt that this is a false positive, or at least something that won;t act unless its specifically triggered by clicking-on, but it is reassuring other people without my own fairly long experience that is the problem. (NB - the only sections of the forum I regularly visit are the various helmet-related ones. That may have no significance.)

Name:	kasperskypopup.jpg 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	833832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Steel Helmets -[4].bmp.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	833833

Name:	World Steel Helmets -[5].bmp.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	833834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Detailed Reports.bmp.jpg 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	833831
    Thanks for the pics , yes it looks like all these detections are false positives originating from displayed advertisements , you could try a add blocker addon for Firefox ,
    Or
    Can you try installing google chrome browser and addon ad blocker

?

Quote by Australia View Post
    I am a self confessed apple Fanboy and mainly use a IPad/mini/phone ,
    but do have a HTPC under the 50inch led TV mirrored to 2x 23inch monitors on the desk , with wireless keyboard /mouse so I can browse and type while in recliner Mode on the couch
    My HTPC has a paid subscription of Norton NIS and it does a outstanding job keeping out malware , it runs 24/7 with Twin TV digital tuners , a happy computer is a happy me .
    I haaaaave almost no idea what you are talking about (That gives you an idea of my level of interest and understanding regarding technology)

Yes i have a cell phone. It is being used as an house telephone. Never leaves its place. I have an old laptop. Dont now anything besides it says "asus" on it.

Im doomed..................
    Collect ROA, Cossack, Schuma and other WW2 Volunteer militaria.

"Be Humble and kind, for you may find that it was Odin you entertained"

Right then. Thanks, Australia (and anyone who links to Mephisto must be a good bloke), for the suggestion about an ad-blocker for Firefox, I should have thought of that myself. I'll poke about a bit and will report what happens if I find anything useful. But then again, I am a subscribing member and I don't get any visible ads anyway. Sort of baffling really.

I won't be going to Chrome - despite my wife's enthusiasm for it (she uses it for her work with Oracle) I still find it only somewhat less horrible than IE.

The good part is that I will redouble my efforts to reassure various acquaintances that Warrelics is not a threat to their online existence. I'd like to see them participating here.
    Last edited by Greg Pickersgill; 05-01-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234