Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

I need advice on the search engine

Article about: I must be doing something wrong because I have never had very good results using the forum's search engine. I just tried to find a post I made some years ago. When I type in the key word and

Default I need advice on the search engine

I must be doing something wrong because I have never had very good
    results using the forum's search engine.

I just tried to find a post I made some years ago. When I type in the key word
    and then my user name, I only see threads that I started, related to that key word.
    The post I was looking for was in a thread that I did not start. I just replied in it.

If I take my user name out, then I get every post ever made on the forum with that
    key word. I really do not want to have to read through 157 pages of threads to find
    my one post. Is there any way for me to see just the posts that I made using the keyword
    but in threads that I did not start?

I'm sure it must just be a setting or something that I've not figured out.

Thanks
    Greg
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

It's the opposite for me. Very often, I search for something specific using the search engine only for it to turn up zero results. Even my own posts are absent.

B.B.

I've had that happen also.
    gregM

myself around.

I have no issues finding any posts on the search engine and I dont type my name in.

A few words if possible from the title will reveal some or many related threads. Just this morning I typed in " Haco SA dagger " which pulled up one of mine and many other related threads.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

https://www.warrelics.eu/google.php?...1898j468094j10

for Greg I typed in your user name
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry,
    I was looking for a comment I made concerning a SA dagger. When I type in
    SA dagger and my name I get a list of 17 threads that I started. When I type
    in SA dagger without my name , I get 157 pages of SA dagger threads. I know I replied
    to 2 or three of those threads BUT I really don't want to look through 157 pages to find
    that one post. Isn't there a way to find posts that I made but that I did not start?
    gregM

myself around.

Are there any other terms beside "SA dagger" and your user name you can use for your search?

I usually use multiple terms / phrases that I know for sure were included in my post or anywhere else on the thread respective thread (plus my user name) and usually find what I was looking for.

Don't use the advanced search option. Just do a Boolean search using the normal search box:

So try - "sa dagger" AND "chopperman"
    Or narrow it down further - "sa dagger" AND "chopperman" AND "1939"

The advanced search option does not seem to pass the parameters across to google as it should.
    It would search for any post that contains:
    sa, dagger, AND, chopperman, 1939 - all 264 pages of them!

Nick

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    Don't use the advanced search option. Just do a Boolean search using the normal search box:

So try - "sa dagger" AND "chopperman"
    Or narrow it down further - "sa dagger" AND "chopperman" AND "1939"

The advanced search option does not seem to pass the parameters across to google as it should.
    It would search for any post that contains:
    sa, dagger, AND, chopperman, 1939 - all 264 pages of them!

Nick
    Thank you. That helped very much.
    gregM

myself around.