Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

USB microscopes

Article about: Just wondering what if any type of USB microscope people might be using, looking for a cheaper one if thats possible.

CBH
    ?

Default USB microscopes

Just wondering what if any type of USB microscope people might be using, looking for a cheaper one if thats possible.

Here is the one I started with .. Carson eFlex . Easy to use , LED Light ring inside the scope head and just upload the software from the site depending on system your running. Easy .. scoping items within 10 to 15 minutes of opening package . Camera is not the best so if you’re saving photos of items the resolution isn’t great.

Carson eFlex 75x or 300x Power LED Lighted USB Digital Microscope with Fl... New | eBay

Here is a shot of the reverse of an Imperial Lubeck Award .

USB microscopes

MAP
    ?

Most of the cheaper versions are made by the same company. At least that was the case 3 years ago when I bought mine.

I have a brand called Plugable. Looked exactly like others for sale at the time. I did have software issues with a few months after buying it (not right away). I think it wasn't the manufactures fault but a problem with my Windows program. I downloaded a new driver but still it is a bit glitchy.

You really don't need anything more than 200x or 400x. Also these claims are a bit misleading. You don't get this level of from the scope itself but from the software. Even without the software manipulation (which I never figured out) I still got more then enough magnification with my 200x scope. All the ones I see now claim 1000x power (but again this is not from the scope itself. Maybe they've gotten better.

You also have to fiddle to get just the right focus. But it's not hard.

Anyway. It was cheap and it did its job despite the flaws / misleading claims.

This is the type that I have and is the most common "cheap" style out there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000X8-LED-...sAAOSwi0RXxF3a
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Mine's similar to MAP's (cheap and tricky to focus) can't remember the magnification! I think only 200x, anyway here's a result on a couple of kraut decals had it for probably 3-4 years?
    Last edited by reneblacky; 12-11-2017 at 08:09 AM. Reason: added pic

That's the same one I use as you say - tricky to focus but it cost me less the £20 !!

Mine should be delivered in 2 weeks if my sister comes up with the Christmas goods.
    It is similar to the cheapo one posted above. I'll review when I get it - i'm hoping to connect to my Android phone with a USB OTG cable.
    Nick

CBH
    ?

Thank you gentle men, for the many replies. It gives me a good starting place, and tells me what to look for.
    All my best to all of you

As promised, here is my review of my USB Microscope.

The microscope was purchased online for £17.99 described as:
    "Jiusion 40 to 1000x Magnification Endoscope, 2MP 8 LED USB 2.0 Digital Microscope, Mini Camera with OTG Adapter and Metal Stand, Compatible with Mac Window 7 8 10 Android Linux"

First impressions were good considering this is a relatively cheap device. Well presented box, USB microscope seemed of reasonable quality. The lead is quite long and includes a USB OTG (On the Go) adapter to connect to a micro-USB port on a phone.
    The stand is made of metal and is easily adjustable.

Connect to Android phone:
    As i did not have my laptop with my the first thing i did was connect to my mobile (cell) phone.
    I have a Motorola Moto G4 running Android Nougat (7.0).
    I downloaded the App 'CameraFi' which is free apart from some minor advertisments within the App.

I then connected the USB microscope with the OTG cable (remember to remove the clear lens cap).
    The stand is quite good but you may need to raise small objects in order to photograph them.
    When connected you can adjust the light via the wheel on the cable but this was not really necessary.
    I found the zoom feature a little fiddly but with perserverance you can get a good shot - you defintely don't get from 40 to 1000x magnification though!
    Unfortunately with the phone app the resolution was limited to 640x480 but as you are taking close up shots this is OK.

Connect to Windows 10 Laptop:
    The software provided is 'CoolingTech' and 'AmCap'.
    After installing i needed to tweak the NTFS permissions in the following location to grant 'Everyone' full control access:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\CoolingTech\
    A reboot was also necessary.

AmCap seemed fairly useless, i needed to use CoolingTech to use the camera.
    It's not as quick and easy as using CameraFi but you can adjust the resolution up to 3264x2448.
    Again, this is not as critical as it seems as you are already zoomed in.

Pros:
    Good price, compatible with Android mobile phone, reasonable pictures

Cons:
    Can be fiddly to use. Software is OK but could be better.

Overview:
    I think this is fairly good for the price - if you are going to a show/fair and want something mobile to take and use with your Android phone then this is good.

Nick

USB microscopes

USB microscopes

M35 Luftwaffe Helmet - National Shield (Normal zoom) #1:

USB microscopes

M35 Luftwaffe Helmet - National Shield (Normal zoom) #2:

USB microscopes

M35 Luftwaffe Helmet - National Shield (High zoom):

USB microscopes

M35 Luftwaffe Helmet - Adler (Normal zoom):

USB microscopes

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast