Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Why are people so paranoid?

Article about: I much prefer folks to use their real names where ever possible. All the serious collectors here tend to sign off with their first names. I do find it a real turn off when I help people with

Default Why are people so paranoid?

I have a question for the community at large. Why do people hide behind monikers instead of using their real names? If identity theft is a concerne, why not just a first name? As an educated adult, I have a problem addressing someone as Panzer Soldat or STRachael, etc. , when his/her real name is probably Ralph or John or something else so common that it couldn't possibly compromise his/her privacy. I see this practice on every Forum I have joined, and it always baffles me. And the other question I have is why do people "watermark" their photos? If your property has commercial value, I can understand it, but most of the stuff we post here is...well, just stuff. Oh well, to each his/her own, but it does cause me to wonder and ask. Dwight

Default Re: Why are people so paranoid?

Pics I can answer straight away. It's not about value or anything, it's the nasties that steal the pictures and use them on for sale sites to sell an item they don't own and scam money from people. Watermarking can protect from that to an extent. You might think it doesn't happen but it has many times before

Monikers, well their might be 100 Johns on here as well at 100 Steve's. Their has to be some places where you can have some fun and call yourself what you like. You will find once people get to know each other they use their real names anyways in posts

Regards
    Jason (my real name)

Jason: Thank's for taking the time to answer, and you have good points. The only point on which I disagree, is the name issue. I have no problem with avatars (I use one too) and associated pseudonyms (which I don't have), but why not sign off on the post with a real name? I know lots of guys named Carl and John and even Ralph, and I address each one by his name. Anyway, I'm probably a grumpy old man, but I really feel silly addressing someone as Panzerfaust or some other rediculous moniker. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question. The Best to you, Dwight

Dwight,
    I do agree with you. This site is great because of the picture off to the left. You alway know who you are talking to.
    Steve

Dwight,
    I use my user name because of what it stands for. I am very proud of the work that I have done and the items that I have created over the last 30 years. I will post an example or two.
    I use it on any forum that I join, I use it on e-bay, I use it as my e-mail address. I also sign almost every post that I make. And with my signature line, it is not difficult to figure out my whole name.
    I feel that I have earned the right to use this name.
    Ralph. (my real name)
    P.S. My avatar, one of my father's tanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Why are people so paranoid?   Why are people so paranoid?  

Why are people so paranoid?   Why are people so paranoid?  

Why are people so paranoid?  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Also like jason said most people just put there name at the end, like me. - Nick K

?

I use AMTG because it represents a pivotal moment in my life, it was the unit I served with in Iraq in 2005, it represents where the person I was ceased to exist and a new person came out.....it also represents where the new me began collecting seriously, partly to help take my mind off the past

Tony

Jason & Nick: Thank you very much for taking time to answer. And Jason, those are beautiful pieces of which you should be, and are, justifiably proud. I don't have a problem with a moniker per se, in fact, I think they are fine. My problem is that in most cases, the moniker is the only identity one has to respond to. And actually, Nick, I'm not too sure that most people do put their name at the end of their posts, which is one reason that I posed the question. I wish more people did that so that we would have a name to address. I hope that I hear from others about this because it's very interesting to me. I once belonged to a forum specializing in German naval history. There each person was assigned a naval rank, with the most senior being the Grossadmiral. So we went along addressing each other by non-existent rank. How silly. In another forum that was Third Reich focused, I met Bormann, der Obersturmbahnführer and even the Reischführer. My point is that this business of hiding behind a moniker is a common feature of all forums--or seems to be. And I'm just curious to know why? Thanks again to both of you for answering. Dwight

?

Dwight hello..The avatar i have up is of me in Afghan...i tried to do something "arty"...& the name Tango is just phonentic alphabet for Terry..because most of the time you try to join as Terry & someone has taken that name already!!!..As for Cheers watermarking i wouldnt know how to do that & i have nothing worth stealing lol..Cheers Terry.

My real name is Eric Zentner and I have not had any problems with it at all.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast