Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advice for New German Militaria Collector

Article about: Greetings, As the thread title suggests, I am a new collector of German Militaria with a particular interest in acquiring SS Skull rings (the Honor rings are outside of my price range so I a

Default Advice for New German Militaria Collector

Greetings,

As the thread title suggests, I am a new collector of German Militaria with a particular interest in acquiring SS Skull rings (the Honor rings are outside of my price range so I am looking towards the purchased ones) who is looking for advice. Just looking over these boards, I realize that the marketplace is filled with fakes and I am looking for assistance in identifying authentic rings and reputable dealers.

I just placed an order for a guaranteed authentic SS ring from one of the Militaria Mart dealers who has a presence on these forums -- Wartime Militaria (I am attaching an image of the ring below, more of which can be found here: http://www.wartimemilitaria.com/view...h=50090&phqu=3. It was on the inexpensive end for rings listed as SS and another Militaria Mart dealer with whom I have been corresponding and who seems trustworthy and knowledgeable (Dave Cantwell of alliedandaxismilitaria.co.uk) warned me that items from the Czech Republic, which this ring is, are notoriously faked and not to be trusted. I have sent a message to Wartime Militaria detailing my concerns over the ring's authenticity but have yet to hear back. Before I do something drastic like apply for a Paypal refund, I was hoping to solicit this board's advice.

I'm certainly not accusing anyone of intentionally mislabeling the ring (I trust that it was listed in good faith), but as I do not have the expertise to spot a fake, I'm looking to those of you who do. Does anyone here have experience with either Wartime Militaria or Dave Cantwell?

Any help you are able to provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who reply!

Advice for New German Militaria Collector

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Advice for New German Militaria Collector
    P
    Many

I don't like it!....

Welcome to the forum!...

?

Rings / helmets / daggers / etc; etc; are faked... Let the buyer beware.... I would suggest that in the future you consult the experts located within this forum before shelling out one thin dime..
    Also, you have to do some research on your own behalf as well... In order to learn and share any gained knowledge too.. With that being said welcome to the forum Serpent....Gwar

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies and the words of welcome! So I take it that you both feel this is a fake ring? Might you explain why, so that I might learn what to look out for? Gwar, might you also suggest where one can best do research on authenticating German WW2 rings? Clearly, I am a novice when it comes to these matters so any and all advice you can provide is most appreciated.

Thanks again!

?

There are ring forums here, Enter your fancy at the top right for a search... I cannot comment on your ring
    though... I used to collect them and have a "Drawer" of regret... On me, of course... Continue searching and you will eventually find a great piece no doubt.... Happy hunting....Gwar

What are everyone's thoughts on the following two rings (e.g. are they real and if so how much would you estimate they are worth paying?) The first (silver ring) was reportedly found near Leningrad and the second (alpacca) was said to be found in Austria.

Advice for New German Militaria CollectorAdvice for New German Militaria CollectorAdvice for New German Militaria CollectorAdvice for New German Militaria CollectorAdvice for New German Militaria CollectorAdvice for New German Militaria CollectorAdvice for New German Militaria Collector

As always, your expertise is most appreciated!

Nope, don't bother with these either!...

Wow! Really!? Thank you! Might you explain a bit more about how you are able to make that determination? I thought the seller to be reputable, but then, what do I know? It would seem that finding a REAL ring is going to be considerably more complicated than I thought. Does anyone have good suggestions of where to look?

Thanks!

If you're looking for reputable dealers I suggest A Collector's Guild as well as The Ruptured Duck - German WWII Memorabilia / Militaria
    Both these dealers are some of the best in the biz, but some have very high prices. As always before buying ANYTHING that you are unsure about it is best to post here. Plenty of experts who a very knowledgeable and willing to help.
    -Jake

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the Forum, friend...It should be said that the rings you refer to as "SS-Skull Rings" are actually called "Kantinenring"...Rings available for purchase by soldiers at the base Canteen/Store. These rings were popular with all branches of service, not just the SS...and even civilians could buy these, by the way...
    I suggest hanging out here for a while and getting to know some of our diggers, who are finding such rings on the old front lines, in order to get one that is sure to be an original...Good luck in your collecting endeavor!
    cheers, Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images Advice for New German Militaria Collector 

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast