Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Afrika Korps Ring Need Help Identifying and authenticating

Article about: I have aquired an Afrika Korps Ring with the swastika and Palm tree motif and DAK 1942 on the front, and stamped on the inside "Afrika Korps 1942" and 925, I have only been able to

leviticus
    ?

Default Afrika Korps Ring Need Help Identifying and authenticating

I have aquired an Afrika Korps Ring with the swastika and Palm tree motif and DAK 1942 on the front, and stamped on the inside "Afrika Korps 1942" and 925, I have only been able to located one other example and it looks like it was from a private collection in hong kong however their example was more crude. Any information or help in Identifying and authenticating this peice would be greatly appreciated,

Afrika Korps Ring  Need Help Identifying and authenticatingAfrika Korps Ring  Need Help Identifying and authenticatingAfrika Korps Ring  Need Help Identifying and authenticatingAfrika Korps Ring  Need Help Identifying and authenticating

2. # ADS

I don't know a lot about DAK rings and I haven't seen this one before but there's nothing glaringly wrong with it. It may have been custom made as most DAK rings were locally made from cheap alloys rather than silver, like this piece

Clearer photos would help, especially of the markings inside the band. There are a couple of folks on here who likely will provide more useful information. Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by SpitfireVb; 05-31-2017 at 01:38 PM.

I would be extremely cautious on any ring stamped inside "Afrika Korps 1942"...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

A new one on me. Has anyone EVER seen such an internal stamping on an AK ring?

?

Afrika Korps Ring  Need Help Identifying and authenticatingsorry, but this is a fake ring that's been around for years, no original dak ring has the date 1942 all original rings are marked 1941, here is an example of a fake dak ring with the wrong date.

Quote by bonny View Post
    sorry, but this is a fake ring that's been around for years, no original dak ring has the date 1942 all original rings are marked 1941, here is an example of a fake dak ring with the wrong date.
    The DAK was in North Africa from 1941-43. I wonder why, then, the only rings are from 1941. Mind you, I've never seen a 1942 DAK ring either so should have spotted that. 🙄

Seems a sensible question. Given local traders were knocking these rings out for the troops, I would have thought you could get any date you liked bunged onto your ring.

?

as far as I know 1941 was the only date on good rings

The inner stampings....1. "925" is better known as Sterling silver. A grade of metal which was Very rarely used in the era. 2. "Afrika Korps 1942". Makes absolutely no sense. The table of the ring already has DAK on it-why would you need to tell yourself Twice on your own ring what military unit you were in? The inner markings are not viewable from anyone looking at it on your finger. And the date of 1942 being added is just more silliness. Again, it already says the date on the table-what possible purpose would it have to be stamped on the inside for?

Now, as for 1941 being the only authentic date to be found on rings....factory made rings, I could see this, but on locally made? I, haven't personally encountered a piece with other dates on them, but I can't believe that it is impossible. How many were being made and offered by the locals? Hundreds? Thousands? A few Dozen? Who can say? If there's anything in this hobby, it's that to say "never" is rarely if ever accurate.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

you could be right about other dates on these rings, but I have never seen an original one with a 42 date, allways 41, would love to see one