Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dak ring

Article about: Hi Chaps, I've been offered this DAK ring bought back by a man in the 8th Army (it comes with copies of his papers). Annoyed from this ads?   Does it look original? I'm not sure as I've

Default Dak ring

Hi Chaps, I've been offered this DAK ring bought back by a man in the 8th Army (it comes with copies of his papers).

Does it look original? I'm not sure as I've never owned one & I see there are plenty of fakes!!

What would be a fair price to offer if it's o.k.?

Cheers,

Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dak ring   Dak ring  

Dak ring  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dak ring
    P
    Many

Default Re: Dak ring

Hi Richard, having the Veterans paperwork with the ring is a real bonus. However, that does not make this one real.

The problem with these is that they were completely unofficial items which were purchased by members of the Afrikakorps in the bazaars and souks of North Africa. They were made by many different Arab craftsmen from a variety of metals, silver, silver gilt, gold etc. The pattern could vary as well.

I have not seen one as heavy looking and quite as intricate as this before, and personally I would pass based on that if it were my money I was spending. I would stick to a known (to me) pattern.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Richard, having the Veterans paperwork with the ring is a real bonus. However, that does not make this one real.

The problem with these is that they were completely unofficial items which were purchased by members of the Afrikakorps in the bazaars and souks of North Africa. They were made by many different Arab craftsmen from a variety of metals, silver, silver gilt, gold etc. The pattern could vary as well.

I have not seen one as heavy looking and quite as intricate as this before, and personally I would pass based on that if it were my money I was spending. I would stick to a known (to me) pattern.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade, thanks for the reply. I know what you mean. I always think, buy the item not the story.

But I must admit I'm tempted by this one. The seller is the secretary of my local medal club who I know personally. The ring was found in the effects of his father in law who died recently. His father in law served in a battlefield recovery unit recovering British & German AFV's & tanks in N. Africa. He says that the ring has some markings on the inside. I'm really gonna have to handle it before I make my mind up.

If it was right, what's a fair price?

Cheers,

Richard.

The background to it as you know the person does make it a bit easier to believe, now if it was on E bay i would really ingnore it.

Value today? I would only be guessing. Last time I looked at these they were about £45 and that was a long time ago...

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Dujailah: We both respect Ade's opinion on this and he has furnished an honest assessment based on his expertise and experience. What I am going to add in no way contradicts what Ade has said. This is just my take on the situation as described. I think the ring is probably, if not certainly, genuine for these reasons: 1. Your source is reliable. 2. The soldier who previously owned the ring served in North Africa in a capacity that put him in a position to find or otherwise obtain this ring. 3. Ade has said that these rings were a cottage industry in North Africa and there were many makers, each with a different style and varying quality. Thus, there is no standard by which to judge these rings with regard to authenticity. There is no definite yes or no rule. 4. Yours appears to be of superior quality in terms of sharpness of detail and general craftmanship, which in terms of producing a fake, would represent unnecessary effort and expense to produce it. 5. Lastly, there is apparently no indication that the soldier to whom it belonged was a collector, which would imply that the ring is just a souvenir. If that is the case, and I would wager it is, there would have been no reason for him to have bought a postwar fake, since it would not have been a real souvenir. My rational might appear convolute to some degree, but it really isn't. This is just an opinion. Dwight

Richard,

this is my DAK ring. 100% genuine. Just gives you an idea of the designs out there.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/non-c...-1941-a-15481/

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The background to it as you know the person does make it a bit easier to believe, now if it was on E bay i would really ingnore it.

Value today? I would only be guessing. Last time I looked at these they were about £45 and that was a long time ago...

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade, yeah, if it was an ebay item it would have been a no go. I'm really going to have to look at it carefully, Cheers, Richard.

Now Dave's ring I would buy in a heartbeat.

Cheers, Ade

Thanks drmessimer & davesap250, I'm going a good look at it & the info from the 8th man soon, Cheers, Richard.

?

Looks like a nice probably period ring based on the Vet connection - as noted above by pervious members these rings were locally produced both by the locals and the soldiers themselves also sold as mass merchandise in the Post Exchanges/canteens etc - The provenance in most cases is the main key to determine period or none period not to forget materials etc.
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast