MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

A few more skull rings

Article about: Hi all! I really appreciated the feedback on my earlier posting of my rings, I found a few more that I would like to show. I tried to get close up shots of the backs but they did not come ou

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    The "proof" is 11 ring collectors gave their approval and You did not say a single word against it.
    Dear William, if somebody liked this photo or doesn't left the comment this doesn't mean that they approve it. Also there is many posts and each like on old posts bumps it on top so that way new posts can hide under the old post. I'm not noticed your post. Also there was no question about authenticity. So, maybe I'm guilty that i'm not commented your post?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A few more skull rings
    P
    Many

And there was no question of authenticity Now either. As I said, I've had this ring examined by one of the leading silversmiths in the US. It has Specific makers marks and silver content marks Stamped, and has been sized several times by it's original owner. It was very much vetted when it was discovered in Karelia. It is Not "cast" but is a stamped silver ring of the era. The fact that 2 supposed experts instantly made such statements when viewing 2 poor quality photos taken in an indoor setting under poor light conditions only further verifies my statement that many Good rings are and have been discarded and possibly destroyed on the basis of such poor pronunciations. Now, this is the last posting that I will make on this ring.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

And there was no question of authenticity Now either. As I said, I've had this ring examined by one of the leading silversmiths in the US. It has Specific makers marks and silver content marks Stamped, and has been sized several times by it's original owner. It was very much vetted when it was discovered in Karelia. It is Not "cast" but is a stamped silver ring of the era. The fact that 2 supposed experts instantly made such statements when viewing 2 poor quality photos taken in an indoor setting under poor light conditions only further verifies my statement that many Good rings are and have been discarded and possibly destroyed on the basis of such poor pronunciations. Now, this is the last posting that I will make on this ring.
    If you are happy with this ring - this is great! If you believe that this ring is stamped you are wrong, because there is clearly seen cast defects.

A few more skull rings

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    The original sales advertisement did say "To the rings were used several methods of cleaning, as a result very well could see the gold coating" so no mention of gold plating after being found.
    Seems fishy, no?

Hey, guys. So I give you my impression as a newcomer to this rather interesting hobby.
    I paraphrase some experienced collectors here:

'Ring collecting is a minefield.'

'95% of all WWII rings out there are fakes.'

'On eBay, 99% are fake.'

Etc, etc.

So in my opinion -as a beginner, yes, but a beginner with a good common sense and a healthy load of logic- in MY opinion a little 'Healthy Paranoia' is more than adequate!! ;-)

"Better be shaved than shorty" is my motto here, and in the case of WWII rings I'd say make it a very close and clean shave, HAHAHA!

Mark

PS call me crazy, but in a way the fact that there is so much deception out there, so many fakes, makes this hobby only more intriguing. Is it pretty? No. But you just HAVE to become somewhat of an expert and really do your due diligence detective work if you want to stand a chance at a nice original collection, gotten for a reasonable price and free of nasty 'surprises'! :-) REALLY interesting!!

If you believe that what you are seeing are "casting marks", I would have to question your judgement and ability. I could list again the reasons why you are wrong, but it seems to be a waste of time to do so. The camera I am using does not reproduce accurate appearance-if I was able to take a better and clearer photo, I would, but I cannot. The ring does Not look like this in hand. It is shiny, smooth and certainly much better than seen in these photos. I am, quite frankly, tired of debating with the "everything is cast crowd". The ring was posted by request by another forum member-it was not posted with a request for authentication.

Quote by Triggerself View Post
    If you are happy with this ring - this is great! If you believe that this ring is stamped you are wrong, because there is clearly seen cast defects.

A few more skull rings
    William

Wrong because US jeweler told that this ring was sized few times and there is nice hallmark? Yeah, of course it makes it "original"...lol
    Not only me thinks that this ring is NOT original. This ring is red flag for every mature ring collector.

You second die struck ring is great without problems with known rare type and with great details, shape and edges - this how should looks like the nice original period ring.

P.S Nose defect looks awful...really. Nothing personal just my opinion.

As I said-enough debating from self-proclaimed experts. Forgot about the Other points of authenticity that I cited, did you? When it was excavated and discovered? The lengthy debate about it? And, I did not say "Jeweler", I said, and I'll repeat for your benefit, "Silversmith". Abit of a difference, or do you think they are the same? Have you seen another of this "faked cast" piece style? Or is it supposed to be a totally made up one of a kind design? Care to show everyone a Non-cast version of this ring Without all of the "defects"? And I don't want to see one that Kind of looks like it-I want to see The design from which this poorly cast piece of trash was Taken from. Until you can, I suggest you do a little more research on your supposed field of expertise before you make anymore insulting and absurd remarks of this kind. Just how many years have you Been collecting rings?
    (and for a glaring "defect", the nose seems to be extremely clear and crisp....just a thought)
    William

As I said-enough debating from self-proclaimed experts. Forgot about the Other points of authenticity that I cited, did you? When it was excavated and discovered? The lengthy debate about it? And, I did not say "Jeweler", I said, and I'll repeat for your benefit, "Silversmith". Abit of a difference, or do you think they are the same? Have you seen another of this "faked cast" piece style? Or is it supposed to be a totally made up one of a kind design? Care to show everyone a Non-cast version of this ring Without all of the "defects"? Until you can, I suggest you do a little more research on your supposed field of expertise before you make anymore insulting and absurd remarks of this kind. Just how many years have you Been collecting rings?
    (and for a glaring "defect", the nose seems to be extremely clear and crisp....just a thought)
    Why need to belive in fairytales and when fairytales became point of authencity? You bought item and not the story. This ring was found by you? Any proofs that this ring comes from Karelia? Any photos from excavations? (Karelians often made them) Nothing makes this ring original even unusual pattern. I think this is Ukranian fantasy piece. You can find dozen Ukranian fake rings in old posts of my group. Research? What for? How looks casted ring i know This is cast ring without doubts, just look at his nose...
    What can you tell about red areas and his nose? Whe many teeth without gap? Bubble? Any comments?

P.S I've never call my self as expert. I'm still learning. And don't trying to offend or insult you.

May be you can make good photos and discuss this ring on germandaggers forum and hear opinions from well known ring collectors?

Show me the Real Ring. And while you're at it, take a couple of low res photos of it in poor light. That always makes the details jump out at a person. The so-called "red areas" are soft details because of the low res photos! Hello? In hand, the "gappy teeth" are sharp and distinct. If I had an electron microscope(and knew how to use it!) I'd take some super sharp photos, but all I have is a small Nikon pocket camera. Sorry if that inconveniences you. As far as that nose goes-I am of the opinion that it is exactly how it was intended to look-the 3 small indentations. I Did save a photo of the marks on this ring before they were lost during repair and restoration. I am told that they are Hanau 800 silver marks. An 800 mark in an oblong rectangle to the left of an extremely small helmeted head. But then, of course, most fakers go to the trouble of making one single fantasy design and then go ahead and add Hanau silver marks. Then to make their retirement fortune from the millions they will sell it for and never make another one again for years after, they put the ring on their own finger(after sizing it several times-apparently with Cast solder or whatever works) and then wear it about to get some wear pattern to it and Then drive up to the forests of Karelia where they know people are digging and sneak in at night and drop it into a small hole where it is sure to be found the next day. Seriously?? And, by the way, Sergey-I didn't see your reply as to how many years you've been studying and collecting rings?
    Last edited by Wagriff; 01-14-2016 at 02:28 AM.
    William

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast