Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

A few more skull rings

Article about: Hi all! I really appreciated the feedback on my earlier posting of my rings, I found a few more that I would like to show. I tried to get close up shots of the backs but they did not come ou

?

Default A few more skull rings

Hi all! I really appreciated the feedback on my earlier posting of my rings, I found a few more that I would like to show. I tried to get close up shots of the backs but they did not come out very good. If there is any interest I will try again tomorrow.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A few more skull rings   A few more skull rings  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A few more skull rings
    P
    Many

?

Nice Display, but impossible to build an opinion about the rings with this pics

?

You can say that ring is original only if you took it from dead body....

Rings were discarded when troops were surrendering , and also taken from surrendering troops , not always grave robbing ,

But as said , further close up pics are needed for assessment

?

Well known period pattern! Often known as the 'gorilla' style skull.

Always brass, with a silver wash when new (traces can be found in recesses on worn or dug examples). Asometimes with red painted eye sockets, always die strucke with a clean join to the rear of the band. Never any markings.

I worry about these lot already!..

The centre two are TOO clean, even if over polished every aspect is too shiny! If they were this mint they would retain the silver wash.

One has a none period gem For an eye, they were never fitted with glass eyes.

An online website is offering this style ring as a reproduction Victorian/memento mori fashion ring for around $150-200, exactly the same right down to the 'shine'

Clear pictures of the rear of the skull, rear join in band, sides, and from above will help determine the answer.

?

Here is an image before these were cleaned. of the two "gold" colored rings. These came from an SS bunker in Karelia.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A few more skull rings  

?

I will get better shots of all 4 front back and sides. The ring with the glass eye came from Demjansk as did the other more corroded one.

?

If they came from the ground of an SS bunker?... Then you should have nothing to worry about at all then my friend...

?

I think we need no more pics.

This rings are because of the skull the so called Gorilla head pattern. Usually rather rare and hard to get ones.
    Original they were made in silver (extrem rare), a magnetic alloy and nickel plated and in brass/bronce alloy and silver plated.
    Some of the silver plated ones have/had red paint in eyes, but never i have seen an original with gems/glas eyes of this pattern.
    A dug ring, except noble metal - silver for example, has a lot of corrosion and never this condition.
    So i am sorry and it is hard to say for me....i real don`t like this shown rings.

For explaining a pic of some of these...some in mint condition from old stock and some fakes (red circled)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A few more skull rings  

Nice original "Gorilla Head" rings. Did your "gold" rings came from Maxim?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast