Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

germania international

Article about: Much of his art,rings,sculputures,etc. are repro's made up in Europe and elsewhere!Would not deal with this firm!

Default Re: germania international

Much of his art,rings,sculputures,etc. are repro's made up in Europe and elsewhere!Would not deal with this firm!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement germania international
    P
    Many

?

Quote by kingtiger View Post
    big ned, surely you are just joking about Craig Gottliebs "book" on SS Honor Rings? It has no source material, no bibliography and is widely debunked as a picture book with no factual basis at all regarding his "personal theory" regarding method of construction. Don Boyle has refused to write him a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) on a ring or two Gottlieb claimed to be real. I know this guy personally and he has one of the worst reputations in this hobby. Google his name and read for yourself. If any member of this forum wants to read the book on Honor Rings written by Gottlieb, pm me your address and I will lend you my copy FOR FREE to read and we can pass it around to other forum members. I don't want to see anyone else taken in by him. He really hammered a member on WAF, sellick I think, on a ring then bought it back for half price "as the market was flooded and slow" when the guy went through a divorce. The guy lost about 7 grand in about 2-3 months from purchase.

Scout, I will pm you the e-mail address.

If I only save one guy from Gottlieb it would be worth the effort to ship this book anywhere for you to see for yourselves. Nice pictures and one of my rings is in it marked R.Dolp, an obvious fake as there never was any initial for a first name and at least he admits that in the book. I bought it from him.

Mark
    I just mentioned it, so you would PM the OP instead of posting the address in public and so would avoid your friend getting spammed.
    Im not in the market for a ring. Not that I wouldnt want a remarkable piece of history like that, but I have other priorities like travelling to battlefields and museum all over the world (i.e. I dont have the funds for one)
    Thank you for 'spilling the goods' on Gottlieb. Interesting and valuable info.

Quote by kingtiger View Post
    big ned, surely you are just joking about Craig Gottliebs "book" on SS Honor Rings? It has no source material, no bibliography and is widely debunked as a picture book with no factual basis at all regarding his "personal theory" regarding method of construction. Don Boyle has refused to write him a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) on a ring or two Gottlieb claimed to be real. I know this guy personally and he has one of the worst reputations in this hobby. Google his name and read for yourself. If any member of this forum wants to read the book on Honor Rings written by Gottlieb, pm me your address and I will lend you my copy FOR FREE to read and we can pass it around to other forum members. I don't want to see anyone else taken in by him. He really hammered a member on WAF, sellick I think, on a ring then bought it back for half price "as the market was flooded and slow" when the guy went through a divorce. The guy lost about 7 grand in about 2-3 months from purchase.

Scout, I will pm you the e-mail address.

If I only save one guy from Gottlieb it would be worth the effort to ship this book anywhere for you to see for yourselves. Nice pictures and one of my rings is in it marked R.Dolp, an obvious fake as there never was any initial for a first name and at least he admits that in the book. I bought it from him.

Mark
    Hi Mark,

I wondered how long it would take to get slammed about what I said about Gottlieb's book! I agree with some of your points regarding it; his 'theory' is just that, and not without weaknesses, but the photo's are very useful IMO for comparison to help spot a real or fake ring regardless.

I am aware of his reputation, and have no feelings either way; personally I would never deal with him by choice, his prices are intimidating to put it mildly, but that is by the by; his book, although a 'picture book', has merit in the photo's within it for helping get a good idea what to look for, good or bad.

As for Gaspare Bua publishing a book in the future, that's great, and I will buy it as there is not really much out there on these rings besides Gottlieb's book and Don Boyle's pamphlet to help aspiring collectors of these items. I think it's kind of you to offer to send your copy to anyone who may have an interest, there are things that can be learned from it that are beneficial to a would be collector.

It interests me about what you say about the 'Dolp' ring that you acquired from Gottlieb. Not only was it incorrectly engraved with the recipients first name initial 'R.' but the date of 17.12.42 is completely bogus. I take it you were unaware of these anomalies when purchasing the ring from him? The ring itself looks very convincing, and the engraving style/font is pretty good to pass muster, but how did he explain these two glaring errors on the awardee and date? Or didn't he? How did you find out the ring was bad? Did he refund you? Lot's of questions, but I think worthy of redress.

Lot's of dealers are guilty of sharp practice (putting it mildly), I notice one of the senior members on WAF who collects/sells EK's, RK's etc. has recently been accused by some members there of purchasing an RK off the recipients son for peanuts, his excuses sound hollow, but still he is held in high esteem by many there it would appear. It's a funny old game this, ain't it?

Anyway, thanks for the stimulating post, it has made me think deeper on these things, and I do appreciate that! All the best!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    A member here named Andris ('Eismeerfront') often has genuine canteen rings for sale try p.m.'ing him, although he is out digging a lot at this time of year, so be patient!

To learn more about genuine Totenkopf Ehren rings I would fully reccomend Craig Gottlieb's book, 'The SS Totenkopf Ring'. It covers all three types of ring and the photo's in it are superb, it will really help you along and retails at around 60 bucks.

Also, I am aware that Paul Hogle at 'Lakesidetrader' has one for sale at the moment.

Regards, Ned.
    Not to be insulting Big Ned but I wouldn't use Gottliebs book for anything but butt wipe.
    He handles questionable items, rings included, the last few big time items being a bronze desk set that "Belonged To Hitler", a now infamous "Birds head SA presentation Dagger" both items provenance having been proven to be false.
    Tread carefully when dealing with Mr Gottlieb.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Not to be insulting Big Ned but I wouldn't use Gottliebs book for anything but butt wipe.
    He handles questionable items, rings included, the last few big time items being a bronze desk set that "Belonged To Hitler", a now infamous "Birds head SA presentation Dagger" both items provenance having been proven to be false.
    Tread carefully when dealing with Mr Gottlieb.
    Hi Steve,

Non taken old bean!

First off I'd like it to be known that I'm not an apologist for Craig Gottlieb. But (or perhaps that should be Butt) I would be interested what is your personal opinion on the photo's within his book. It's worthwhile knowing that not all, but many of the rings within it's pages have Don Boyle's COA or were once owned by the man himself, ergo they are not under question surely. What are your thoughts on this?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Steve,

Non taken old bean!

First off I'd like it to be known that I'm not an apologist for Craig Gottlieb. But (or perhaps that should be Butt) I would be interested what is your personal opinion on the photo's within his book. It's worthwhile knowing that not all, but many of the rings within it's pages have Don Boyle's COA or were once owned by the man himself, ergo they are not under question surely. What are your thoughts on this?

Regards, Ned.
    He has good photographers take superior photos of the rings no doubt. I am not really able to tell the good from the bad. I have read about and have had personal duscussions about his high dollar shenanigans so many times from respectable sources that my personal opinion is certainly colored by these commmunications. That and the fact that he personally is a smarmy arrogant person of small stature that does not lend himself to being considered trustworthy.

Steve, please tell the proof that the desk set was a fake? I thought it was documented by a us veteran??

Quote by orangeaide View Post
    Thanks Mark! I'm also on the look out for less expensive nazi original rings. If you have any one else you know, and I can contact please let me know. I feel lucky I found this site, or maybe it found me.
    I respect Ades advice&knowledge but i have had good relations w/G.I. but thats me..Anyway you may want to try Adersons Militaria they have a nice asst. of DAK rings,Maybe some fakes,but also some nice paratrooper ring,on these you MUST DECIDE! but good honest people...Rings are a mindfeild,Correct Ade? lol(no RZM,SS runes,Gold MARKS,etc. on TRUE WW2 rings,Gold if a gift)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2