Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gorilla style ring real or fake?

Article about: Hi, Im a beginner collector and just bought this from what I understand is a gorilla head skull ring. I got it pretty cheap so I was just wondering if you guys could tell me more about it an

?

Default Gorilla style ring real or fake?

Hi, Im a beginner collector and just bought this from what I understand is a gorilla head skull ring. I got it pretty cheap so I was just wondering if you guys could tell me more about it and if its real or fake? No makers mark from what I can tell and I heard they are not supposed to have them so I guess thats good? Thanks!
    Gorilla style ring real or fake?Gorilla style ring real or fake?Gorilla style ring real or fake?Gorilla style ring real or fake?Gorilla style ring real or fake?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gorilla style ring real or fake?
    P
    Many

Not really a true "Gorilla", but similar. What is it made of? In the 2nd photo, it looks to have a marking inside it-can you make it out? So far, I'm not seeing anything glaringly wrong with it, but definitely close up clear photos in good light would help.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks for the quick reply, I was told its silver and thats also my thought but I will check for markings again when I get home and try to get some better pics aswell. I can see it too in the picture now so I dont know how I missed it before ...

It seems like a ground dug ring. If it is silver you should be able to clean it rather well.
    I would try some toothbrushing first for the large filth and then a night in a glass of cola or vinegar.

Quote by Tx69er View Post
    Hi, Im a beginner collector and just bought this from what I understand is a gorilla head skull ring. I got it pretty cheap so I was just wondering if you guys could tell me more about it and if its real or fake? No makers mark from what I can tell and I heard they are not supposed to have them so I guess thats good? Thanks!
    From the condition it's in and, given that you got it for it cheap, it looks OK to me but better photos would be helpful. Nice find! I like them when they're beat up and cheap.

For comparison, here are a couple of 'gorilla head' rings. Neither have markings although the West Wall specimen is clearly silver.

Gorilla style ring real or fake? Gorilla style ring real or fake?
    Gorilla style ring real or fake?

?

Yup he told me it was dug up and thank you very much for the cleaning advice! That will come in handy for sure

?

Thank you! I'll try to get some better pics once I get my camera to work properly and focus haha. I like em cheap to and I also got another ring from him that looks to be a 1941 marine ring with a pillau mark in it, it was very beat up but I might post that one too in the future. I'll do my best to keep you updated!

?

In the first ring i have with this pics no good feelings. It seems it has casting "balls" from a not real good made lost wax casting and this should be a struck pattern.

The last ring von Spitfire looks like a real fine one of the so called Gorilla head, but i think it has got a new plating and new paint in eyes.

Quote by odal View Post
    The last ring von Spitfire looks like a real fine one of the so called Gorilla head, but i think it has got a new plating and new paint in eyes.
    Thanks, Gotz, you may be right about the painted eyes but it's hard to tell. Certainly, I didn't paint the eyes; that's what the ring looked like years ago when I obtained it. I don't believe that the plating is new, however. Rather, this piece is pretty 'clean' for an old Kantine ring. It comes up nice and shiny after a good buff with a polishing cloth.

?

Could it be this golden shining is the polished brass and no more plating there?
    Most of this pattern are a brass alloy, silver plated and red paint in eyes when new.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast