Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Iron Cross Ring Origin ?

Article about: Hello all. I was previously sold an Eisernes Kreuz(EK) Ring and was assured that it was from the German WW2 period. I was informed that it had been tested by a Jeweler to confirm the Silver

Default Iron Cross Ring Origin ?

Hello all.

I was previously sold an Eisernes Kreuz(EK) Ring and was assured that it was from the German WW2 period.

I was informed that it had been tested by a Jeweler to confirm the Silver content and Silver mark but I can not recall if the Silver content was rated 800 or 825, as the Silver mark is not clear.
    Since purchasing this ring I have seen many similar rings for sale which has made me suspicious regarding its authenticity.
    Please see attached photos and let me know if you think this EK ring is original to the WW1 or WW2 German time periods, or if it is just an outright fake.

Thanks for your help in advance.

MrFrank
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iron Cross Ring Origin ?   Iron Cross Ring Origin ?  

Iron Cross Ring Origin ?   Iron Cross Ring Origin ?  

Iron Cross Ring Origin ?   Iron Cross Ring Origin ?  

Iron Cross Ring Origin ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Iron Cross Ring Origin ?
    P
    Many

In my opinion that ring is pure fantasy piece or maybe some kind of biker ring, there are tens of them on many sites for sale, some really have very similar design like that one.
    Best regards,
    Franko

MAP
    ?

If WW2 era, why no swastika?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I agree with the comments above. German made silver items were (and are) marked for the standard of 800 or 835 (not 825) ie a ratio of silver to other metals to harden the silver to suit manufacture in parts per thousand ie 800/1000. Sterling silver is 925/1000. There are other ratios which is not relevant here but I don't know of 825/100 being used. It is perhaps worthy of mention that any item marked "German silver" (in English is authentic) or "Alpaca" actually has no silver content at all.

As for the ring the design is not a recogniseable one from WWII ( no swastika as stated is odd) or earlier. At first glance it looks to be worn but looking closer it appears to have been made that way and there is no wear at all on the inside of the band in particular. Also, the standard mark is very unclear and with even wear you should still be able to read it right until it is rubbed down flat.

I am pretty sure this is as suggested a "biker", "goth" or similar costume or fashion type piece.

I sincerely hope you did not pay a substantial sum for it. There are many designs of rings from WWI and WWII so research and expert appraisal are key.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Yes this is a biker ring , low quality casting , made postwar and still available online today ,

With authentic german rings , 99% of rings for sale online and at markets are fake or fanstasy , superfakes exsist of real patterns also so be careful and always post pics before purchasing , ring collecting is a specialty area of militaria and requires plenty of study , never trust what anyone states about a rings previous history , believe in the ring Not the story , hope that all makes sense !

Thank you all for your replies.
    I was waiting to see if anyone even suggested the possibility of this ring at least being a WW1 period item, before deciding to smash it with a hammer.
    I paid USD $80.00 for this piece of Junk.
    The number of confirmed fake items seems to be growing in my collection.
    I think I will smash all confirmed fake items, so I can remove them from my life without passing them onto anyone else.
    At least then, they will be taken out of circulation.
    Thanks again for all your help.

MrFrank

If it cost $80, that pretty much tells me that it's a dud. It certainly looks like a fake. Furthermore, it has been aged artificially. However, I have ring of similar design but much better quality than this one. I believe that it is from the inter-war period or, possibly, WWI.

Thanks again.
    You would not believe the elaborate story they spun to get me to believe that it was an original WW2 ring.
    I thought they would not bother if it was untrue, because it would take too much effort, but I was obviously wrong.

QUOTE=MrFrank;1826734]Thanks again.
    You would not believe the elaborate story they spun to get me to believe that it was an original WW2 ring.
    I thought they would not bother if it was untrue, because it would take too much effort, but I was obviously wrong.[/QUOTE]

Well, as many folks on the forum would tell you, 'buy the ring, not the story'. It has happened to us all. Can you get a refund?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast