Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe Ring, new find

Article about: Hello Friends, Thought i would post my newest find and ask for your review and opinion. As always i appreciate and look forward to your input. Take care, Mart

Default Luftwaffe Ring, new find

Hello Friends,

Thought i would post my newest find and ask for your review and opinion. As always i appreciate and look forward to your input.

Take care,

Mart

Luftwaffe Ring, new findLuftwaffe Ring, new findLuftwaffe Ring, new findLuftwaffe Ring, new findLuftwaffe Ring, new find

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Ring, new find
    P
    Many

Anyone have any theories as to why so many rings seem to have heavily worn settings (the crown or face area). It seems to me that unless the ring owner habitually walks or crawls on the back of his hands that this area should be the least worn of any ring?

Maybe, from years of polishing the soft cheapo silver they were made of?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Maaaybe...

If they were worn inside flight gloves it would slowly wear the silver.

I can't believe the wear would be so extreme. If a chunky ring is tight against the glove it would surely cause discomfort to the wearer and not be worn during flight.

I wear my rings which are as big, inside my motorcycle gloves without a problem.

I always remove my rings when I ride, especially when I race. I hate any form of distraction. Anyway, the point I'm getting at with all this is that I see more than a good number of rings with curious wear come up for sale or discussion these days. Nothing directly against the OP ring but I have concerns that obvious signs of ring fakery can often be disguised by heavy enough 'wear'.

The problem that I've always had with very worn rings is that they simply couldn't have gotten so much wear during the few years of the war that they were being worn. They weren't made of Lead, afterall. Even cheap alloy silver is a wee bit more durable. And I can't imagine that After the war's end that they were continued to be worn-especially the SS rings often seen. I've got silver rings that I have worn for almost 40 years, and they don't exhibit anywhere Near such wear patterns. And then, of course, there is always that odd debate over why so many of them are found with split shanks-usually in the same places, despite the kind or thickness of the material. There is the argument that they might have been worn for years after the war by the Allied soldiers who "found" them and brought them back, but this argument fails when the split shank is taken into account. Such a ring would be a constant source of pinching. This is why only rings with rock solid provenances should be paid decent money for....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    I wear my rings which are as big, inside my motorcycle gloves without a problem.
    No s***.....

Luftwaffe Ring, new find
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast