Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions & Discussion on Silver SS Skull Ring

Article about: Here is an interesting ring that I am contemplating picking up. It is a lower grade silver material. It was ground dug from SS positions by an extremely reputable person. What are your thoug

Default Opinions & Discussion on Silver SS Skull Ring

Here is an interesting ring that I am contemplating picking up. It is a lower grade silver material. It was ground dug from SS positions by an extremely reputable person. What are your thoughts and opinions on it? Good? Bad? Cast?

Opinions & Discussion on  Silver SS Skull RingOpinions & Discussion on  Silver SS Skull RingOpinions & Discussion on  Silver SS Skull RingOpinions & Discussion on  Silver SS Skull RingOpinions & Discussion on  Silver SS Skull RingOpinions & Discussion on  Silver SS Skull Ring
    Last edited by Wagriff; 03-08-2015 at 03:31 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions & Discussion on  Silver SS Skull Ring
    P
    Many

May I ask what they want for this ring?

Not really all that much-but there hasn't been an actual solid price set just yet. Interesting, though, that there are Initials scratched inside. Something not usually seen. It also has sustained apparent battlefield minor damage.
    William

Personally I like it , better then some examples we see on here , what are the numbers on the inside ? , can't quite make it out

I Believe that it says 835 and some makers marks afterwards.
    William

mpw
    ?

I like it. It has the appearance of being buried for 70 plus years in the way the impurities in the low grade silver have reacted with the ground conditions leaving swirls and pock marks in the metal. It doesn't have the bulkiness off a cast ring and seems to exhibit wear on the sides and bottom which would be expected of something being worn in the field. Couple that with the fact it is coming from a very reputable person leaves me to think it is OK. The only caveat is this is only a personal opinion from one who is still has much to learn.

Rgd's, Mark.

That's what I was thinking william . Never seen that maker mark before on a repro

It has many small details that arent usually seen-like the pebbling of the backgrounds and the nice detailing of the snake heads. Also, the oak leaves on the shank are good to see.
    William

?

Common pattern of the Frey Company, Pforzheim. Usually marked "835", "F*" and latin "Ln" in a half circle.
    Impossible to build a sure opinion with this pics -- to much patina --
    Good fakes with correct hallmarking are around so be careful.

.835 is pretty much the standard for German made silver. The extra copper makes it harder and more ware resistant. The English speaking world standard would be .925 or "sterling". Silver of German standard, .835, is a bit more "brown" than sterling. Compare your SS ring to a similar, tarnished object in sterling silver. It would be a mark on the "GOOD" side, if it proves a bit browner!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast