Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Panzer Skull Ring History Background

Article about: Hi Everybody, allow me to introduce myself: my name is Mark, born German, living in Iceland. I am brand new here and to this whole subject: just purchased my first Skull Ring -it's in the ma

Default Panzer Skull Ring History Background

Hi Everybody, allow me to introduce myself: my name is Mark, born German, living in Iceland.
    I am brand new here and to this whole subject: just purchased my first Skull Ring -it's in the mail- from Mãris, a nice fellow and reputable seller, I hear tell.

Now I would like to find out as much as possible about this ring's background and history, just every little detail in every way.
    The story that goes with it is here:

"For sale original german ww2 skull ring -made out from nonrust steel.
    Historical background-:Has been left in countryside house by German Tankman before surrender to Russian troops in Kurland pocket may 1945.
    Traces of being worn. Size could be adjusted."

The next thing would be to find out more about the German troops that were in this location at that time, with tanks.

Do you have any suggestions? Ideas, information? Anything at all that you can tell me about this ring is interesting, also the maker, the time frame it was sold in, whatever.

Are there some particular resources you could recommend, other sites, books, etc? It would be awesome to find out which troops were there at that time, maybe even find some pics!

Thanks to you all, and I think this is an awesome place! :-)

Mark

Panzer Skull Ring History BackgroundPanzer Skull Ring History BackgroundPanzer Skull Ring History BackgroundPanzer Skull Ring History BackgroundPanzer Skull Ring History Background

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzer Skull Ring History Background
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Google is an amazing tool Mark.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courland_Pocket
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Ralph and thank you. :-)
    Indeed it can be. Anything on the ring?
    Mark

?

I own and have seen a lot of period rings and Special skull rings.
    The type of skull between this type of bones is well known, but with an other
    decor of the band.
    In this constellation i have it never seen.
    Some hallmarks there?

Hi Odal, thanks for your reply!
    These are all the pictures I have, unfortunately, apart from one where it's worn on the finger.
    But I doubt it has stamps since its stainless steel, not silver...
    But I will ask!
    Thanks again,
    Mark
    PS So you say this type of skull is quite common? Because I heard that it was rather unusual...
    Either way this ring us rather rare, no? 😃

Quote by Mark4321 View Post
    Hi Odal, thanks for your reply!
    These are all the pictures I have, unfortunately, apart from one where it's worn on the finger.
    But I doubt it has stamps since its stainless steel, not silver...
    But I will ask!
    Thanks again,
    Mark
    PS So you say this type of skull is quite common? Because I heard that it was rather unusual...
    Either way this ring us rather rare, no? 😃
    I rather doubt this ring is stainless steel.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    I rather doubt this ring is stainless steel.
    Ralph.
    Ah OK? Which material would you reckon it is? I'm pretty sure it's not silver... aluminum?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    PS got my PM?

Quote by Mark4321 View Post
    Ah OK? Which material would you reckon it is? I'm pretty sure it's not silver... aluminum?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    PS got my PM?
    I would think silver, aluminum or nickel silver, I believe that making stainless steel in those days was not a cheap process and it would be used for more important things than rings. IMHO.
    Ralph.
    I have received no PM from you.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    I would think silver, aluminum or nickel silver, I believe that making stainless steel in those days was not a cheap process and it would be used for more important things than rings. IMHO.
    Ralph.
    I have received no PM from you.
    Ah OK, thanks! Well I' will find out. Yes, sorry, my bad: mixed up your name with someone else's, PMing me about sellers of original rings...

I'm leaning towards this ring being made of Nickel Silver rather than actual Stainless Steel, but no big deal. It is a fine ring and comes from an excellent seller. I like it! As for much deeper history searching on it's background, I doubt too much that you will be able to get very much deeper. Battlefields and troops rolled around contrysides like flood waters. Always changing. Sometimes in the area for just a few minutes. And the Kurland pocket was a concentration of many thousands of troops of who knows how many kinds-they were finally surrounded and at bay, so to speak, so any still non-surrendered German soldier might be found in there... But, still it's a decent and worn ring. The design was well known but had small variations, of course, as do most all things of the sort. It may even be not made in Germany itself but Norway, The Baltics or who knows? German soldiers traveled from one end of Europe to the other. Who can say just what,when and where a trooper purchased it? That's all just part of War.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast