Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

real or fake luftwaffe ring?

Article about: hi there, new too the forum just wondering if this luftwaffe enamel ring is fake or not? i know that they should be die struck and not cast...but not even sure how you can tell the differenc

Default real or fake luftwaffe ring?

hi there,
    new too the forum
    just wondering if this luftwaffe enamel ring is fake or not?
    i know that they should be die struck and not cast...but not even sure how you can tell the difference between a die struck or cast ring
    any help would be great!
    cheersreal or fake luftwaffe ring?real or fake luftwaffe ring?real or fake luftwaffe ring?real or fake luftwaffe ring?real or fake luftwaffe ring?real or fake luftwaffe ring?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement real or fake luftwaffe ring?
    P
    Many

?

I would say mostly good ring with new made plating and enamel.

I think pittings are from corrosion. Enamel poor.
    Dug one refreshed?

Looks good to me but not very well made. For example, the face is uneven. Look at the bulge on the top right. I wonder if this is a cheaper version of a known design.

I have a similar Luftwaffe ring - brass, yellow enamel face - but it looks better made than this one.

real or fake luftwaffe ring? real or fake luftwaffe ring?
    Last edited by SpitfireVb; 01-11-2017 at 10:15 PM.

yes i notice the budge on the top right corner...thought it might be just warped a bit. thanks for your help guys! cheers! its selling at a store near me...what you think its worth about?

?

Mmmmmh
    A good ones meanwhile about 180 to 200 € and more between collectors.
    The topic starter, if no cast fake, i would say max about 50 for me.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture real or fake luftwaffe ring?  

thanks odal. how can you tell the difference between cast and die struck?
    cheers!

It's not a ring that I would have in my collection.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It sold any way for $152 USD + 20% fee... why wouldnt you have it in your collection?

Quote by goodtimes View Post
    thanks odal. how can you tell the difference between cast and die struck?
    cheers!
    This is an old subject that has been debated here countless times. One thing to keep in mind is that,although not common, cast rings did, indeed, exist also. Being buried for decades in various different kinds of soils(alkaline,being one of the chief damagers of silver) can affect the metals and materials too, so it is not always immediately possible to tell from a photo if one is truly cast or just in questionable condition. I've seen instances of experts examining rings under microscopes and still not being able to give a definitive conclusion. I’ve had rings photographed as they were Being Dug from the ground in remote battlefields and still they were laughed at and called cast fake-despite the fact that they, at times, still encircled the finger bones of their last owners. So, go figure accordingly.
    Now, this Luftwaffe ring, as I said above, is not one that I am liking-particularly with the blatantly obvious crooked head to it. It looks to be, as guessed, likely a brass ring with silver plate, but in my opinion, it is not a period ring, but a cheaply made souvenir ring as could be found for years in the back pages of magazines. I can't envision a soldier going into the PX and selecting it "I'll take that crooked one!". He would have been the subject of mockery by his fellow soldiers.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I agree with William. It just looks like a flawed, poorly made ring, even it it did originate in WWII (which I doubt increasingly). Certainly not worth 150 bucks...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast