Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Ring Identification

Article about: I am hoping someone could perhaps shed light on this WW2 era ring I have in my collection I would like to know what the numbers mean under west wall. Those numbers are 39/4c. The ring is mad

?

Default Ring Identification

I am hoping someone could perhaps shed light on this WW2 era ring I have in my collection I would like to know what the numbers mean under west wall.
    Those numbers are 39/4c. The ring is made of gold.

Thanks in advance.

Yama.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ww2ring2.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	363641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ww2ring1.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	221.0 KB 
ID:	363638  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ww2ring3.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	363642  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Ring Identification

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

It should read 39/40, which represents the years 1939/1940.

The lack of the correctly formed "0" suggests this is a cast reproduction.

Usually these rings are made of German silver.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Looks to me like the person who made this ring wasn't all that familiar with either the subject matter that he was trying to portray , as well as not knowing Western style alphabets. This suggests a Eastern European-possibly Russian manufacture. The "0" in "40" clearly looks like a "C" and seems to have been Made that way. Either way, NOT a good sign for authenticity! Doubtful too, that it is made of solid gold, as it looks to be showing green corrosion in parts-usually a sign of Brass.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks for your post. I spoke with my dad who is 82 years old about the ring he said he received it in 1945 from his cousin who was in the war who removed it from a deceased German soldier. I found the ring stored in a ammo box that had not been opened for over 40 years. He tells me its not a fake. Would it be safe to clean it? To have it checked to see if its gold?
    I have the original letter and envelope it was sent to my dad in 1945. Again thanks for the clarification as to what the numbers are. Thanks in advance for your time on this subject.
    Last edited by Yama; 06-27-2012 at 06:12 PM.

If you want to clean it, I would suggest a non-harsh jewelry dip type of cleaner to use. It looks to be made of brass and was gold plated at one time but has lost the majority of the plating, so you would not want to vigorously clean it and remove what is left of it. If it was Solid gold, it would have markings inside to indicate this and also would not be showing the green corrosion. Even so, If it were genuine, the West Wall rings were a extremely common ring and were worn by military and civilians alike. You would be looking at a value of less than $100. Collectable, of course, but nothing to go shopping for a new car with!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."