Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skull Ring

Article about: What do you think of this skull ring ? West Wall or just standard private purchase . It's been worn a lot , read somewhere that the split back was so one size fit all . Thanks for your time

CBH
    ?

Default Skull Ring

What do you think of this skull ring ? West Wall or just standard private purchase .
    It's been worn a lot , read somewhere that the split back was so one size fit all .
    Thanks for your time .
    Cheers Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Skull Ring   Skull Ring  

Skull Ring  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Skull Ring
    P
    Many

Default Re: Skull Ring

doubt its TR.

Most likely just a skull ring not related to 3rd reich in anyway !!

First of all, I am very wary of any rings that are supposed to come
    from a battlefield or from 'Stalingrad'.

This could very easily be a modern ring that has been 'aged'
    to make it look rather old. There is no real 'wear' to the
    sides at all - only the front - ie the teeth. The toning
    in the recesses also looks too dark, like a false
    patination. Is it sterling marked.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

CBH
    ?

There are no marks on it , I never said it was from a battlefield . I've had it for around 20 years give or take . The whole band is worn thin . I'll see if I can get the silver tested.
    Thanks for the replies
    Chris

It's an early 20th century designed ring of Scandinavian/Germanic origin that will more than likely be 830 silver if tested, a type popular in northern europe at the time. This grade of silver is only really found to be used in Egyptian jewellery today. And although these were worn by some German troops of all services, it's not specifically been produced for them, it's not TR related. It's what's known as a 'memento mori' ring.

As far as the 'C' shaped decoration on either side of the bones, this is a Nordic symbol that is a part of the 'Mjolnir' emblem, otherwise known as 'Thor's Hammer' and indicates thunder, a powerful symbol of death and destruction.

So to sum up, It is my opinion that the ring is a genuine north european period piece privately purchased, but to say it was a soldiers, German or other, is pure conjecture.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

CBH
    ?

Thank you Big Ned , for the reply and the detailed information . That is pretty much what I thought , possible canteen purchase . Never thought SS or the like , besides no RZM mark LOL . Thanks again for all the information , your vast knowledge is a credit to this forum .
    Cheers Chris

Jan
    ?

After Big Ned´s prompt ansver there really isn´t much to add here but I post the pictures you asked for . Hope you find them useful!

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Skull Ring   Skull Ring  

Skull Ring  

CBH
    ?

[QUOTE=Jan;884253]After Big Ned´s prompt ansver there really isn´t much to add here but I post the pictures you asked for . Hope you find them useful!

Thank you Jan , I was interested in the bones along the side , they are very similar to my ring . And Big Ned has explained them well .
    Thanks again for your time and all the replies
    Cheers Chris

Although this "Skull Ring" is not silver it is very similar to the one posted...Mine was sold to me as a FREIKORP ring..Could be but not sure.
    Nice ring!!!(ONE IN ORIGINAL POST)Skull RingSkull Ring

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast