Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Skull ring with red eyes.

Article about: Hi im new in this forum and this is my first post, i have this ring but is from ww2 early? or post wwii?. its marked 830 and is heavy. Thanks!.

Default Re: Skull ring with red eyes.

Quote by edelweiss1939 View Post

PD: William It's incredible that there are enough copies because you despise all the pieces, so you lose part of the story.
    Edelweiss, Am not really certain as to what you mean,but the new pictures do help alot. It definitely,as I said,looks to have been Worn and aged naturally,rather than the crude and obvious artificial aging you see on so many of the fakes today. I do think it is a nice ring,for sure, and if a German soldier would have come across it,he definitely would have picked it up and purchased it. Not a military canteen item,I imagine,but it is something that would in all probability have attracted a soldiers eye.
    on a side note-you've seen Alot of the skulls with stone eyes,Ned? Must be that your being on that side of the Atlantic that you come across more than we do here. In something like 40 plus years of fooling around with this stuff,I think I've stumbled onto 2 with stones-and one of those were Green in color! lol They do look cool,though!

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hi Will,

These type of rings are still produced heavily over here in Europe, selling for a few Dollars. If you can ever get your hands on Craig Gottlieb's book 'THE SS TOTENKOPF RING: An Illustrated History from Munich to Nuremberg' take a look at the rings with jewelled eyes on pages 106-107. One has rubies and the other a single emerald, the other being lost. Gottlieb states that he has come across rings modified as such against the rules a few times including one with diamonds added. He concludes from expert advice from experienced jewellers that the stones are of period mounting.

The book is a real must have for anyone who has an interest in these rare and expensive items, it's great! The funny thing is that although these sort of things fascinate me, the only jewellry of any type I ever wear is a wristwatch....

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hey Ned, A diamond eyed skull ring? Cool! I can just imagine what the guys comrades must have made of That one when he wore it,hey? A Hoi Polloi soldat! I have to admit,though,that now that I think about it, years ago I Did come across a Third skull ring that apparently Had once been fitted with stones, but they were long gone missing and the empty holes actually looked kinda better Anyway. lol. Spooky thing these days, though, looking for these rings now. With the ridiculous number of fakes, counterfeits and just plain silly fantasy pieces, unless they come right out of the ground or from the vets themselves, it just isn't worth the worry. This is why I liquidated 90% of my collection years ago. I feel sorry for the new collectors out there today trying to get going! I can just imagine 20 years from now when all this fake garbage is starting to be brought into the shops for sale. The Eastern European trash is being produced on a scale like has never been seen before. You sure didn't run into Any of this nonsense back in the 60's when people were collecting WWI stuff! Good thing I won't be around to deal with any of it! William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

desighn of this ring was very popular during ww2 in germany. picture of this ring together with some other rings desighn has been printed as comercial on simply postcards.there was type with red stones and the same without stones.Enybody was able to get by simply order-not just army guy,s. I hope it helps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12