Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Ehrenring

Article about: Hi Guys, I though that I would share this one with you as it is new to the market and unseen by collectors until now. It was the war trophy of a member of the British Intelligence Corps who

Default SS Ehrenring

Hi Guys, I though that I would share this one with you as it is new to the market and unseen by collectors until now.

It was the war trophy of a member of the British Intelligence Corps who served in Norway 1942 - 1945. He died fairly young at the age of 57 in 1962. Since then it has been in the attic until yesterday when his Son found it and brought it to me at work. His Son remembers it from being a child.

There are several SS Officers with this surname on the Dienstalterliste. I am doing some research on the name at present.

The ring is an early one with the presentation date of 30.6.34.

Enjoy.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Ehrenring   SS Ehrenring  

SS Ehrenring   SS Ehrenring  

SS Ehrenring  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Ehrenring
    P
    Many

I truly love these rings, thanks for sharing, Ade.

Regards,
    Miguel.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    There are several SS Officers with this surname on the Dienstalterliste. I am doing some research on the name at present.

The ring is an early one with the presentation date of 30.6.34.
    It's Willy Bretschneider.

There are four SS officers named Bretschneider in the pre-war DALs: Eugen, Kurt, Rudolf and Willy.

Out of those four, only Willy was already listed as a ring holder in the 1 July 1935 list. Kurt was not yet a ring holder in that list, but was listed as one in the 1 Dec. 1936 list (meaning his award was at some point between those two dates). Eugen and Rudolf were not yet holders of the honor ring even by the publication of the 1938 list.

Under the the rules in place in 1934, SS officers with a join date before 30 January 1933 (or a later join date if they were only unable to join the SS pre-1933 due to their being Reichswehr- or police members) could be awarded the ring after two years of membership in the SS, SS officers with a join date later than 30 January 1933 after three years of service as an SS officer. All SS members (irrespective of rank) with an SS membership number below 3000 were also eligible for the ring.

Both Kurt and Willy Bretschneider were promoted to Untersturmführer on 20 July 1934. Kurt had NSDAP no. 518 916 and SS no. 17 925; Willy had NSDAP no. 18 364 and SS no. 1 862. Thus, thanks to his early join date and low membership number, Willy instantly qualified for the ring and Kurt had to wait a while longer.

The entries in the 1935 list:

SS Ehrenring
    Last edited by HPL2008; 08-15-2019 at 01:55 PM.

A great piece of analysis. Can Willy be linked to service in Norway?

Many thanks Andreas!

Kurt was one of my "possibles".

Next stop will be to go through the later lists and see where he ended up.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Anderson View Post
    A great piece of analysis. Can Willy be linked to service in Norway?
    Sorry; I don't have any biographical data on him other than what I can find in the pre-war SS-Dienstalterslisten (see below)* and don't know what he did in the war.

Name: Bretschneider Willy
    Date of birth: 9 Oct. 1899
    NSDAP no.: 18 364
    SS no.: 1 862
    Promotion dates: 20 April 1934 - Untersturmführer
    Assignments:
    - Reserve-Sturmbann 7 (SS-DAL of 1 Oct. 1934)
    - zur Verfügung 7. Standarte (SS-DAL of 1 July 1935)
    - Stammabteilung Bezirk 7 (SS-DAL of 1 Dec. 1936 and 1 Dec. 1937)
    - Stammabteilung 7 (SS-DAL of 1 Dec. 1938)
    Awards: Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse (WW I), Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer, Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz (WW I), SA-Wehrabzeichen, Totenkopfring der SS.

*) He does not appear in the wartime lists. (These only have the ranks of Sturmbannfüher or higher. Apparently, Willy never made that rank and it is actually possible that his promotion to Untersturmführer was his last one. Not so surprising as he was not on active status, but a member of the supplementary reserves in the Allgemeine SS.)

7.SS-Standarte - Einheiten der Allgemeinen SS - Forum der Wehrmacht

- - ------- - -

He has the same birthday as me (Not the year of course!)

?

Gahr jeweler on his first day of work, and soldered the totenkompf upside down ??

?

Look at the span of oak leaves to the left of the upside down skull, compared to those on the right side.

Quote by JRMeda View Post
    Gahr jeweler on his first day of work, and soldered the totenkompf upside down ??
    At least the engraving appears in the correct orientation with the ring.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast