Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

SS Ehrenring ~ real or replica ?

Article about: Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but it looks pretty interesting already . I was metal detecting in southern germany on a farm field, which was located next to a former Reichsarbeitsdienst st

Default SS Ehrenring ~ real or replica ?

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, but it looks pretty interesting already .

I was metal detecting in southern germany on a farm field, which was located next to a former Reichsarbeitsdienst station and found this ring, which looks like a SS Ehrenring. The skull seems to be upside down, but that's the only weird thing which I noticed. The inside reads "lb Meier 21.12.38 H. Himmler", the "S" of "Seinem lieben" seems to be gone. One of the runes on the outside is completely worn off as well.

Do someone know if this ring is a genuine SS Ehrenring or a replica ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Ehrenring ~ real or replica ?
    P
    Many

?

What happens to this one?
    Sanding? Real no good signs this ring has.
    Otherwise on a rather quick view i see no real faults.
    Worth a closer look this ring.

Hello welcome to the forum. All I can say is. HOLY COW it stands a chance. Most of these are a one looker no go. The date is a legitimate award date that's a promising sign. Can't wait to see what the verdict is. Best regards.

Brian

SS Totenkopfring. Original??

SS Ehrenring ~ real or replica ?SS Ehrenring ~ real or replica ?SS Ehrenring ~ real or replica ?SS Ehrenring ~ real or replica ?

I know it will take much more to confirm authenticity but just some comparison photos, and a bump.

Brian

Might be real....

Brian's post #4 makes me envy his expertise at juxtaposition. I might hazard a guess that the opening post's markings appear to be engraved, not cast. However, we are limited to photos.

Hey Stake. I was of the understanding the HR's were die struck inscribed with the dedication, fit to the recipients size and soldered with the skull covering the seam. All made by the Gahr firm to ensure quality? But I may be mistaken. Even still those inscription numbers are close! Kindest regards and thanks for the compliment.

Brian
    Last edited by bsiwula1; 09-30-2017 at 02:30 AM.

Brian....I am certainly no expert as today was my first real exposure to SS EHRENRING (s). I mentioned engraving versus casting only to support the consensus, so far, that this one deserves further analysis since so many FAKES are indeed cast including the skull and markings. The GAHR production method described is quite reasonable with the exception of the engraving of the recipient's name. It makes sense that the die struck piece must lay flat to facilitate engraving. However, it is my humble opinion that the dates and H HIMMLER were not coined by the die. The engraver's strokes show signs of the direction of the draw and the calligraphy is consistent, but there are subtle differences...the shorter length of the base of the first OP #2....the short shank of the first OP #1....the position of the second period....I would surmise that a pantograph was used. That allowed all of the engraver's strokes to be bold with little to no hesitation. The recipient's name would then be hand engraved. While the artisan of MEIER had a steady hand, the engraver of FRITZEL was more free handed and even shaky when making the R. Of course, all of us are handicapped working only from photos. My original post was intended to be supportive of further discussion without sounding like a blowhard, leaving the final decisions to more seasoned members. Thanks....Doug.

Stake excellent observations I know you are a man who carefully examines the items to the best extent that digital photographs will allow. I agree with what you said 100 percent. If I had one concern and it s NOT fact based or experience, but that small Nick out of the ring body leaves a rather crystal like inner texture which silver may form when solidifying, but it looks odd to me not damming as I still like, really like this rings odds, just an observation. Thanks so much for your input into this and other threads, a great addition to the forum. Kindest regards.

Brian

Brian, thanks for the compliments. The DUG provenance always presents a danger that it might become a discussion of whether angels have sex, as is said in Italian. However, we should give HOEDIUR the benefit of the doubt since he/she is a new member, not a one-night-stand guest. My comments which follow are only opinions and speculation. The condition is quite baffling, but perplexing because it does not suggest the usual artificial ageing meant to deceive. I would suggest fire damage, either intentional to discard SS items at the war's end, battle damage, or even a garbage dump blaze. The silver solder at the joint behind the TOTENKOPF has been compromised. The striations outside and even inside are linear, perhaps from a dremel wire brush spun in a circular motion. When found, it might have had a thick crust from percolating in a mixture of nasty chemicals. It might have been cleaned aggressively until someone recognized its potential. Perhaps some member might research the MEIER surname for us ? ? ? Thanks....Doug.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast