Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Honor ring, pretty good fake...

Article about: So I know that Lohmann is one of the most faked names in all SS honor rings... did some research. Found this ring on ebay before the listing was taken down and was talking to the owner. This

Default SS Honor ring, pretty good fake...

So I know that Lohmann is one of the most faked names in all SS honor rings... did some research. Found this ring on ebay before the listing was taken down and was talking to the owner. This person thinks it is real and I was inclined to believe this before finding out I had been taken for a ride on another large collection that I posted about on this forum elsewhere. Obviously the chances of this being the case are next to none given the amount of fakes witht his name in existence. My question is, are the whereabout of the original Lohman ring known?

Here are the pics of this ring which a guy who seems to know a lot about them says is a 1st generation fake made 20 years ago or so. He came to this conclusion looking at the same pictures I am posting here. What are your thoughts. I would like to know so I could relay this information to the current owner.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Honor ring, pretty good fake...
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS Honor ring, pretty good fake...

P.S. this seller is NOT the same person that scammed me and has been very forthright about information as to how this was purchased and makes no claims that is it authentic. I would just like peoples opinions... I still may want to purchase it as a high quality reproduction.

I owned the original Lohmann ring back in the late 1970's. It's pedigree was impeccable and it came from the top source in the business. The last location for it that I know, was that I had sold it to an advanced collector of Honor Rings in lower Michigan. The interior of this copy is terribly crude, however and the original ring had extremely fine detailing on the runic symbols. This one is heavily worn in appearance-almost to the point of being illegible. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

If this were a real and genuine SS ring, it would bring around $20,000 or so.

Looks newer than twenty years old to me - it might have been made
    last month or even last week ! It seems to have false patination
    in the recesses, and there is no wear on the inside at all,
    but any wear on the outside is fabricated.

A 'good repro' ( if there is such a thing ) should be made of .925
    or '800' Sterling Silver, be marked as such and cost $25-$40.

If you feel you need to have it - and if it's silver - I'd offer
    the lower price because of the large imperfection
    shown in the 3rd photo.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I love this forum. Thank you very much.