Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

SS Honour Ring for discussion - named to 'Hahn'.

Article about: eBay is NOT the place to go for this sort of thing. come on now. Latest developments: 1. CG got in touch with me after seeing my new photos and he now seems very interested. 2. There's a guy

Default Re: SS Honour Ring for discussion - named to 'Hahn'.

There is this constant rumour that Gottlieb is some kind of admin there or even the owner. I can 100% say that is completely untrue. He was actually removed as a site advertiser (sponsor) some time ago due to complaints about his business dealings.

I do have the power to restore the thread there.

Going back to the ring, sorry I cannot help you on it. My expertise on these is weak.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Honour Ring for discussion - named to 'Hahn'.
    P
    Many

Thats okay Ade. Thank you anyway. Interesting info about CG. I was not aware of that rumor.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    There is this constant rumour that Gottlieb is some kind of admin there or even the owner. I can 100% say that is completely untrue. He was actually removed as a site advertiser (sponsor) some time ago due to complaints about his business dealings.

I do have the power to restore the thread there.

Going back to the ring, sorry I cannot help you on it. My expertise on these is weak.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    ....I do have the power to restore the thread there.

Cheers, Ade.
    Adrian
    Wield the mighty sword!
    Strange goings on people post all the time asking opinions before selling.

Eric

Quote by Unterstand View Post
    Adrian
    Wield the mighty sword!
    Strange goings on people post all the time asking opinions before selling.

Eric
    Haha. I'd let it go. Someone here asked if this thread was a "sales pitch". Its obviously not but anyway. Moving forward.

?

I read this entire thread with great interest and at the very outset i was also somewhat worried about the "scratches" on the interior of the ring but as the thread progressed i began to think there could be a good chance of originality, i thought initially that if the ring had been a ground find then it could be possible that scratches could be found inside, but the fact that it was "taken" from the recipient or at least given/swopped etc belayed that idea, i even looked at my own wedding ring of 36yrs and recalled all the occassions that it had been through assault courses, 10yrs of police work, TA, Army Cadets, weapons training, working in abrasive factory conditions and yet the inside is still smooth unscratched, hallmarks clearly visible etc, however there were points that started to convince me of originality, namely the design, inscription and the fact that compared to all the other suspect rings that have been seen via the forum, differant websites etc , this one is imo very well crafted and that besides the wear and tear on the externals, still displays well, i am of the opinion that as with all things there are exceptions and i see that this can also apply to militaria and has been proven as such on a few occassions, things that are rarer than rocking horse do do can surface and amaze everyone because it has been thought they never existed in that particular format, although with rings it is somewhat differant as these are well researched by a few well respected collectors and authors on the subject, i was truly rooting for this to be the real deal and although disclaimed by an expert, it still makes me wonder.

These high quality rings with the inner scratching, as I said earlier are showing up more and more. The Reischenbeck ring that was debated here earlier also had these inner scratches- as have a few more these last couple of years. That one, however, was said to have ultimately gotten Don Boyle's certificate. Maybe I'm totally wrong here, but I've owned and handled enough of these rings over the last 40 or 50 years and can definitively say that I've Never come across one with these strange inner scarrings. Maybe the time is already Here that the near perfect rings are now being produced and are slowly being leaked onto the market so as to not raise any suspicions. No one is 100% on Anything. And just because he wrote a book, Gottleib sure as hell isn't either. Nobody is.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

And so, after twelve pages of discussion, we are still not really sure whether or not the ring is a genuine piece.

Don Boyle who's expertise in this field is unquestionable has apparently said fake. Craig Gottlieb who has some experience with these rings has apparently fluctuated in his opinions and yet a Mod on another site is buying it - I'm guessing as an original as that person collects these rings.

Matt, when you get the certificate back from Don Boyle, would you be good enough to post it here please?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

"yet a Mod on another site is buying it - I'm guessing as an original as that person collects these rings."

Correct.It appears that the 'gentleman' in question is not only a mod there, he is the chap who used his powers as one, to pull the thread completely, not just close it, such is the way of some people in positions of responsibility. Disgusting.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The original rings I've seen during my comparison research have similar scratches... here is one on CGs site with a DB COA.... that DB misidentifies.
    http://www.craiggottlieb.com/engine/...rman+Militaria

The other convincing element to me with my ring is the seam behind the head. I have yet to seen this on any copies.

Before all this, I contacted my old, long time friend Bill Shea (The Ruptured Duck) here in Massachusetts and he also commented on the seam... he thought it looked good too and he gave me DB's contact info. I need to take better photos. My iPhone4s isn't doing it justice.

?

The seam will be there on the good copies.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast