Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

SS Honour Ring for discussion - named to 'Hahn'.

Article about: eBay is NOT the place to go for this sort of thing. come on now. Latest developments: 1. CG got in touch with me after seeing my new photos and he now seems very interested. 2. There's a guy

Default Re: SS Honour Ring for sale in the classifieds.

I hold my hands up to the poland comment when I saw the add.sorry but I still think its a wrong un. hope I am wrong mclenrd

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Honour Ring for discussion - named to 'Hahn'.
    P
    Many

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    I hold my hands up to the poland comment when I saw the add.sorry but I still think its a wrong un. hope I am wrong mclenrd
    That's fine. If it is fake then its still worth a lot more than what I paid for it. Can you provide examples why you feel it is a fake?
    I mean, so far your inkling is going against the experts.

Quote by mclenrd View Post
    HAHAHA ^ thats pretty much how I felt after I got the ring. I trust you guys... i like the cynicism and humor and honestly here. Thanks!

So i wonder if this IS the "Hahn" the ring is named to. He was one evil bastard if this is him.... Hahn is a common surname though. I need an SS number.
    http://www1.yadvashem.org/odot_pdf/M...20-%206349.pdf

more info... it also indicated he WAS awarded the ring.
    Axis History Forum • View topic - SS-Staf Dr. Ludwig Hahn
    Good grief....IF he IS the Hahn discussed in the above AHF thread, he truly was one of the main war criminals who got away with it after the war, for a time at least anyway, what a truly evil man! Interesting to see that he was married to the sister of Johannes 'Mackie' Steinhoff, one of the Luftwaffe's top fighter pilots. If it is him, (like you say, it's a common name) he was involved in some of the worst atrocities committed in the ghetto's of Eastern Europe, giving the ring a pretty dark and sinister history, although it would not have been awarded for these acts, (it was applied for by the recipient if he filled various complicated criteria).

The history of the recipient of the ring here in question is potentially very, very important, not to add to it's monetary value, but it's historical worth to museums and scholars of the holocaust, but that is just my opinion.

mclenrd, I hope you think hard about this if your research points to this particular character as the recipient of the ring you own. It's historical value would out strip any amount of money it may garner I believe being sold on the open market. I'm sure Yad Vashem and other museums and institutions would have a genuine interest in this piece IF it belonged to THE Dr.Ludwig Hahn in the AHF thread you have already posted, that remains to be seen...If so, it holds more significance than 90% of any other rings currently known as being extant.

EdIt: Wiki Entry: Google Translate

Good luck with your endevours, and keep us posted if you can bud.

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 10-11-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: wiki entry.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Wow, this is jaw droppingly interesting. I'm not getting my hopes up just in case... but wow. I noticed in the wiki article from and AHF (which I assume was from an SS Dienstliste) that Hahn would of became eligible for the ring in 1944. So that would line up, no?

?

Obviously some serious research needs to be undertaken on this ring and it's history and who the possible recipient was.
    Does anyone know how many times the name Hahn appears on the list of recipients?
    Who the recipients were on the date inscribed?

Although I guess we might be jumping the gun slightly, I think definite confirmation of authenticity should be established first.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

I believe Mr Gottlieb authored a book on honor rings which has since been trashed for spurious rings included in it. I do not know if Don has spoken to him personally about the fakes in the book but Gottlieb doesn't like any real authority that exposes his indepth lack of knowledge of rare Nazi items. His zeal for profit which clouds his judgement has been noted on many items he has had for sale.
    This is a personal observation that has come about from the controversies that has surrounded Gottlieb on items that have been proven to be bad.
    I just take offense to Gottliebs off hand mention of the most well known and respected expert in the field of honor rings.
    My honest opinion and true statements. Not trying to start a fight.
    I wish you the very best mclnrd.
    I would also suggest that you do further research on your ring. You may be selling it WAY TO CHEAP. You can always relist it in the future.

Understood SteveR but whatever with Gottlieb. Let talk about this interesting ring that stumbled upon me.

?

Quote by mclenrd View Post
    Understood SteveR but whatever with Gottlieb. Let talk about this interesting ring that stumbled upon me.
    I'll give you a hundred bucks for it on a chance.
    Seriously I hope you do well with your ring.

Possibly, but there were a lot of Hahn's in the SS! For instance, SS Untersturmfuhrer Walter Hahn, famously seen here in the cupola of his SS Panzer Abteilung 101 Tiger 131 on june 8th 1944. He subsequently transfered to SS Abt. 501 in time for the Ardennes campaign in the 'Bulge', he could also be a candidate besides many others. It needs research, and unfortunately that means money. Are you up for it old son?

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Honour Ring for discussion - named to 'Hahn'.  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

HAHA! SteveR aaaaaaaanyway .

I saw that too but I don't think 'tank commanders' would have an honor ring. would they? its not like they just handed these rings out. I agree about the research having to be done. I am strapped for money. I've been underemployed for 2 years... so if this ring is the real deal... it will come in helpful. I'm not into SS stuff really anyway. (I'm all Heer)

I've contacted Robert at militariaresearch.com but no reply yet. I also contacted Ross at ssdaggers.com... still no reply. If anyone has other suggestion or can assist on the research, please let me (and others reading) know. Thank you.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast