Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

SS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fake

Article about: Hi Mark, That's an interesting theory about them being die stamped, and does make alot of sense when you think about the slight differences in such things as the different thicknesses in the

Default Re: SS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fake

I have not sent the ring to anyone yet.
    I am still doing research and have noticed Don's name comes up more than anyone else.
    There is a Military show that will be going on here where I live and there are a few Collectors that will be there that deal in High end SS Collectibles.
    I will be at the show to ask more questions about the ring.
    I will be taking my time on who I send it to for authentication (leaning toward Don Boyle).
    I found if i hurry to judgement I make Mistakes.
    Thank you for your comments will be looking harder at Don for the authentication.
    William

Quote by rbminis View Post
    I would suggest also contacting someone by the name of Don Boyle. He is probably one of the most known for authenticating SS Honour rings.
    Ralph.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fake
    P
    Many

A little late for comment, but I like the look of the inscription around the inside.
    It is finely done, exhibiting very 'crisp' lettering - which is much better than
    any others displayed on the Forum.

This may very well be one of the 'original' copies purported to have been
    made from a genuine ring, but I too think it stands a chance.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I would also only deal with Don Boyle on these. To me, having owed a few, the face looks wrong and highly messed with. I don't see the clear delineation of the skull from the ring as is usually very apparent. Gottlieb is a known faker and I say that to help you, not to be mean to Gottlieb. His book is a total fabrication on methods of construction and his opinion is valueless in the resale market. Don Boyle, on the other hand..if you have a certificate of authenticity from him, resale is assured. I would be surprised if this one turns out to be authentic, but I am not in the league of Don Boyle by any means. All of my rings have been seen and certified by him. I wish you good fortune in any event.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Is there any chance you could post some photographs of the rings you own/have owned. It would be great for members to compare for instance, an original ring and the 'Dolp' fake you got from Gottlieb.

There is an excellent opportunity here to give a really good insight to me and the guys who are genuinely interested in this complex side of collecting high end pieces. Your experience and insight owning/having owned such items can really help to guide some here through a very difficult learning curve!

Thanks a lot!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

SS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fakeSS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fakeSS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fakeSS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fakeNed, here is a '44 and a '37 ring I have. The '44 is the same model as the one we are discussing here on this thread.

Mark

SS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fakeSS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fakeSS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fakeSS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fakeA few more pictures...

Mark

The 1944 ring and the one I posted are exactly the same date. The one in question may be a good one. It is beyond my knowledge to make the call. But interesting to see them both. Don Boyle can look at the pictures of the one that started the thread and at least give you an idea if it's good. Then if you want his COA, you must mail it to him and he hand inspects each one as well as maintains a data base of the SS men who were awarded them. I certainly wish the original poster good luck as to find one of these for $200.00 is not a common event at all. My '44 was appraised years ago by Don for $10,000.00 so you can see what a score the subject one was if it is real!

Mark

Thanks for your candid remarks and insight Mark. Great photos.

Jay

Thanks for sharing these two rings Mark, they are both very nice! It's a good idea showing the 30's type and 40's design together so that some of the differences in the rings evolution can be seen.

The later ring is intersting, whilst not questioning it's originality, I find it interesting in the slightly different appearance of the runic symbols on this ring compared to others of the same period, probably due to wear of the original mould during casting, hand finishing by the manufacturer and day to day use. I have never seen two genuine rings that are absolutely the same in studied appearance. That's what makes these things harder to verify than anything else IMO, every one has it's own subtle differences, and therein lies one of the difficulties in finding a good one.

I'm still hoping that Will's ring turns out a good one, as I think it has a very good chance!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned, I don't believe these rings were cast in a mold. That theory was stated by Craig Gottlieb based upon an interview he had with one old Jewish jewelry maker in the Los Angeles jewelry mart, that's it. Really, that's his basis for the theory, not a bit of supporting documentation and contrary to all who know the rings well. I firmly believe they were stamped in dies and wrapped around a mandrel for sizing as Don Boyle states. I have had several conversations with Don and others on this subject. Don inspected this ring personally and wrote that it was one of the best he had ever seen. It exhibits little wear, if any at all, so perhaps others were worn slightly or hand enhanced and this one was not. These SS Honor Rings are a minefield. I will post the R. Dolp ring I got from Gottlieb as soon as I locate it in my collection. It is shown in his book, however.
    I also hope Will's ring turns out to be a good one. What a find if that happens. We need to see someone get a great unexpected find to keep us all out there, still searching for our own discovery!

best regards,

Mark

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast