Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

SS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fake

Article about: Hi Mark, That's an interesting theory about them being die stamped, and does make alot of sense when you think about the slight differences in such things as the different thicknesses in the

Default Re: SS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fake

Hi Mark,

That's an interesting theory about them being die stamped, and does make alot of sense when you think about the slight differences in such things as the different thicknesses in the sides of the runic symbols, runes themselves and the often deeper, bolder rendition of the acanthus leaves. The dies would have to be reworked at regular intervals I would think, hence the different appearance noticable especially in the 40's style rings.

As a matter of interest, could you tell me if your 40's ring has been resized at some point, or is it more likely made for a wearer with fairly thin fingers as I notice the Sig runes appear closer to the skull than on others I have seen; the left one facing looks very close in the photo's?

Got to agree with your sentiments re Will's piece, it would prove it's still out there if you look! And a bit of luck of course...

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fake
    P
    Many

Hi Ned, the die struck method is real and yes, the dies had to be changed out from time to time. You should contact Don and he is a very friendly and loves to discuss these things. Some evenings we have talked on for two hours on different stuff.

The ring I have, the 1944 one, was made for an SS Doctor and never re-sized. Obviously, I like discussing these things but am by no means an expert, but I know people who are. Andy Legerre is another guy as well as Gaspare Bua. All are very experienced and I highly recommend them.

Best Regards,

Mark

Hi Will,

I think (and hope) you may have an original. My problem with these rings , is that I regard them as probably the worst example of Third Reich design and workmanship. I was a Dental technician by profession and have an understanding of metallurgy and casting techniques. I wonder If these rings were indeed die-stamped , that is actually quite difficult for a ring. Gottleib's tale of a Jewish jeweller stating they were cast , I think, is simply groundwork to substantiate the supposed authenticity of rings currently being cast (by said jeweller) Most rings I have seen commonly are excused as having heavy wear whereas it is in fact perosity, impurity or surface tension. Having said that I believe your ring to be amongst the best (original) examples I have seen, I hope I'm right.

I wouldn't trusty gottlieb as far as i could throw the Empire State Building!!!It would take to long to let you know what some dealer/collectors think of him!Suffice to say see if you can get ahold of Don Boyle's book and look at yours compared to his examples.I agree with some of the members state,if you dont know about these rings then just don't comment!!!! I think its bad to say it might be,but i don't know is garbage and you wouldn't like it done to you!Some should learn to butt out and i learned that when i first started in 1969.If you don't know don't crow!

Hello Everyone,
    I just got and Email From Don Boyle today and will be sending it out to him for Authentication.
    I will let you know what he thinks (Fingers Crossed).
    I went to a Military show on Saturday 4/28/2012 here in Georgia and one of the vendors looked at it and wanted to strike a deal for it.
    He was the only one there who said he dont need anyone to look at it he thinks its Real (all the other vendors said Untill Don looked at it they would not even want to talk price).
    He looked at it with a Loop and had Don's book in hand and loved it.
    I did not discuss price with him as I told him its not for sale Just yet.
    William

Quote by goodbuys View Post
    I wouldn't trusty gottlieb as far as i could throw the Empire State Building!!!It would take to long to let you know what some dealer/collectors think of him!Suffice to say see if you can get ahold of Don Boyle's book and look at yours compared to his examples.I agree with some of the members state,if you dont know about these rings then just don't comment!!!! I think its bad to say it might be,but i don't know is garbage and you wouldn't like it done to you!Some should learn to butt out and i learned that when i first started in 1969.If you don't know don't crow!
    This thread has been very interesting and civil....Until you came along with your Mr. Angry bluster. If you have nothing of interest to add, why not keep your frankly asinine ramblings to yourself. Pathetic.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Good luck, William!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by will4me View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I just got and Email From Don Boyle today and will be sending it out to him for Authentication.
    I will let you know what he thinks (Fingers Crossed).
    I went to a Military show on Saturday 4/28/2012 here in Georgia and one of the vendors looked at it and wanted to strike a deal for it.
    He was the only one there who said he dont need anyone to look at it he thinks its Real (all the other vendors said Untill Don looked at it they would not even want to talk price).
    He looked at it with a Loop and had Don's book in hand and loved it.
    I did not discuss price with him as I told him its not for sale Just yet.
    William
    Good luck, I will have my fingers crossed for you. Jim G.

What is the update on this ring?

Regards, Corey

yes.what happened???

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast