Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Worn Skull Ring With Black Onyx-in Gold

Article about: Found an interesting ring and thought I'd post it here to see what people think of it. The accompanying history to it is that it came from the Finance Officer of the 19th Waffen Grenadier Di

Default SS Worn Skull Ring With Black Onyx-in Gold

Found an interesting ring and thought I'd post it here to see what people think of it. The accompanying history to it is that it came from the Finance Officer of the 19th Waffen Grenadier Division (2nd Latvian). It is of, apparent, Latvian design and manufacture. Latvian ring designs are quite distinctively different from German designs and are glaringly obvious. This one is marked inside with 333 which signifies that it is a low grade gold with a Western equivalent of about 8 Karat. The skull itself looks to be of higher gold content, as it is more richer in color and tone, and has 2 very nice rubies in the eye sockets. It is mounted on a black Onyx table and is held in place by 2 small prongs that pierce the Onyx. I obtained this piece from a very reputable friend in Latvia and I have no qualms of it's authenticity. I do have to say, though, that it is the only SS worn ring that I have seen that was made from Gold. And, nope...I've tried until I'm blue in the head and I Cannot get a clear shot of the inside gold marking. It only says "333" in it,anyway. No maker's mark.

SS Worn Skull Ring With Black Onyx-in GoldSS Worn Skull Ring With Black Onyx-in GoldSS Worn Skull Ring With Black Onyx-in GoldSS Worn Skull Ring With Black Onyx-in Gold
    Last edited by Wagriff; 11-14-2015 at 05:27 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Worn Skull Ring With Black Onyx-in Gold
    P
    Many

?

As with all these privately made/purchased items you need photographical evidence of the owner wearing it in the war. And even that cant be 100% since it can be a replica made later, 75year is a very long time. Now the difference is that you are 100% certain of the SS connection on this exact example, that leads us to when it was made.

The first thing i was thinking of was a pre ww2 white russian ring. They used black color in the background of their regiment badge and some medals had skulls with similar shape.

Hope it helped alittle, maybe im on thin ice with my white russian connection

Also why order the goldsmith to make a goodlooking pre ww2 looking skull when you can make a good looking fancy SS skull ?

Only my dos centavos worth. (if it is indeed a white russian ring, then im drooling on myself of deep envy- if i still had a soul i would have sent you a pm )

Skull looks like "rose gold' to me William.
    Blended with copper it is Russian in origin.

Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

It could very well be. Russia and the Baltics at the time were well inter-mingled. Latvia changed hands more than once in just a matter of a few years. It is definitely not German made. It is, almost certainly, of Latvia design and manufacture, though. For Who? That's the question! It was worn by a Latvian SS Officer....the rest? We may never know.
    William

Hi William; hope all is well friend. If you don't mind my asking, how's the source of this ring, whom I assume is the same reliable source you've obtained your other rings from(?), certain of the Latvian SS Officer connection?
    Personally, I know next to nothing about rings of any period, but it's obvious even to my incognizant eyes the patina displayed is much more convening than the eBay junk usually seen.

?

Sorry!
    But wouldn`t give more money for this one than the worth of material.

It was obtained from the family of the officer who owned it. The source is a good friend and of the highest integrity.
    William

?

Thats only my personal opinon.
    If I buy a item i give only the money i will get if sell it again.
    And i never buy a Story, true or not, i allways buy only the stuff

Well, that is good, as I did not pay a large amount for it. And, yes, I agree that the majority of stories are just that-stories. But, in the case of this item, there is no reason for me to doubt it. If it were from a Stranger, then certainly. I only picked it up as I thought the design to be quite unusual and attractive and for the fact that the person offering it to me was a personal friend and a highly reputable digger in addition.(This ring is Not dug). It was vetted on Sergey Bodrov's ring site and was quite well received by all of the ring people there. Sergey, in fact, would have liked to have purchased it himself.
    William

Looks like a ring of a candy machine. Lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast