Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SS Yule Lighter, good or fake ?

Article about: by Erich S Again, I have no problem with it. There are few things you look for on these and everything looks right to me. JMO! What things exactly. I, and others here one would assume, would

Default Re: SS Yule Lighter, good or fake ?

Quote by Erich S View Post
    Again, I have no problem with it. There are few things you look for on these and everything looks right to me. JMO!
    What things exactly. I, and others here one would assume, would like to know what they are that convinces you in your assumption.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Well for someone who didn't even know what they are or were for, I guess it doesn't really matter anyway, but it certainly would not be in my collection for the reasons given above. There are just too many hand-made repro's of these cranked out over the decades and without bulletproof provenance, not worth taking seriously. But what do I know..
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your opinions.
    This Yulleuchter was disposed on the street at a flee market stand (400 exposants) all the morning, I buy it at eleven for 20 & no collector had asked for the price or haved it in hand.

At this flee market I find also a complet NSKK uniform (jacket & pants) in perfect condition for 150.
    6 WHW tinnies for 3
    2 heer dinner plate for 5.
    A good day for me.
    Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.JPG 
Views:	431 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	343063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	041.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	343062

You got a great deal on an original Juleuchter and congrats!

William

Quote by Erich S View Post
    You got a great deal on an original Juleuchter and congrats!
    Hi Erich,

Would you care to address the question I posed to yourself in post#11 as you appear to have missed it. I reiterate, as you stated: 'There are few things you look for on these and everything looks right to me.'

Once again, what exactly are these 'few things' that look right to you??

In anticipation, regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned, most if all fake Juleuchters that I have seen since I started collecting Allach have very uniform details when looking at the Hagal runes and hearts. Originals are hand finished and you see uneven areas around the runes for example due to the production of the original molds and hand finishing. Also, the dots around the perimeter should not be pronounced but rather muted in looks. There are some other traits but these are the most obvious. Here is mine to compare.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

When hand working with raw clay forms, it is hardly a difficult task to turn out a so-called Allach Julleuchter. This is what makes the pieces so caution inducing to examine. What is More difficult, however, is to duplicate the effects of decades of bare handed handling and raw age, showing convincing wear on the feet and ring bottom from 80 years of sitting and moving on surfaces as well as very old vestiges of melted wax and inner candle sooting from actual useage. Your particular specimen shows a marked darkening of the original pinkish colored clay, as well as even further darkening in handling area. All of which the original posting piece does not exhibit. Look closely at the bottom ring edge of the candle opening-it shows only traces of surface contact wear, and the 4 feet show even less, if possible. Baked clay shows wear Very quickly and discolors even quicker on handling and sitting. A genuine Julleuchter is now looking at nearly 80 years. As we said earlier, this is a very well made repro that was produced in keeping with the originals and their manufacturing methods. If replicating the original manufacturing methods were enough to make it genuine, then there would be one for everyone who wanted one on a whim today, as these pieces have been made and on the market now for decades.
    William

NSK
    ?

Making judgement from pictures is not so easy but I'd agree with Erich, I can't see anything obviously wrong with this Julleuchter.

I agree with William about a piece that has experienced much handling, will show signs of handling. If you take a piece that way made in 1935 then it's possible it's had use and maybe 9 years use in the Third Reich even before it gets into a collectors hands, so yes many signs of handling.

Signs of handling and 'convincing age' do not tell you if you have a real or a fake piece though. Take a piece made in 1944 as an example, very likely not even used before war's end. Likely put in a box up in the attic, thrown in the pond the back of the barn. A stoneware piece that's spent it's life in a box, not handled is going to look much like a brand new one even after this time. In fact only today I was discussing one with a lady in Germany who's deceased (former SS) Father has left one to her, actually she found it hidden away. It looks mint condition, a late war piece, probably a DEST example, not actually made in Allach. I know it's a late one for sure as the Jul-leuchter award doument for it is dated 1944. From the pictures it has no handling signs at all. If I showed this one no doubt there would be nay-sayers, citing poor quality, no wear, bad marks etc!

NSK
    ?

A few Julleuchter related pictures and three earlier Julleucter here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast