MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts on this Skull ring

Article about: Hi Guys Hopefully I posted these right. Total rookie on here. Randomly came across this ring in my searches and was wondering what you guys thought about it. Seller assures me its die struck

Default Thoughts on this Skull ring

Hi Guys

Hopefully I posted these right. Total rookie on here. Randomly came across this ring in my searches and was wondering what you guys thought about it. Seller assures me its die struck and from a good source. Think he said its Latvian....Thoughts on authenticity?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on this Skull ring   Thoughts on this Skull ring  

Thoughts on this Skull ring   Thoughts on this Skull ring  

Thoughts on this Skull ring  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on this Skull ring
    P
    Many

Hi, and welcome to the forum. At first glance, I kind of liked this ring but, the more I look at it, the more suspicious I am.

In the first place, there are many skull ring designs, some of them quite common, but I have never seen this pattern before. OK, so I may not have seen every skull design. Fair point. It might also mean it’s a private purchase ring. However, it is nowhere near as high quality as other PP rings we’ve seen.

Secondly, there is nothing specifically Latvian about this ring. It’s another skull, albeit a cool-looking ring. Mind you, if it was made in Latvia, it is probably a postwar fantasy piece.

Bottom line, I wouldn’t want it in my collection. Sorry! Interested in what others think.

Cheers,

Stephen

I would not expect to see the maker's mark and silver content stamped on the outside of the ring.
    JMO.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    I would not expect to see the maker's mark and silver content stamped on the outside of the ring.
    JMO.
    Ralph.
    Good point, Ralph. Most authentic rings would have any markings stamped on the inside of the shank, but there are exceptions. Another suspicious aspect is that the shank is quite thick, especially at the base. Silver shortages in the Third Reich often meant that jewellers had to skimp. Most TR rings silver rings, including most of mine, have relatively thin shanks. I don’t believe that this ring originated during WW2.