Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

west front ring need help and opinions please!

Article about: Hello all, I have a dilemma that I hope you can help me with. Today i happened across an unusual ring at a small antique shop. The ring looks like a "west wall" type ring, but it s

Default west front ring need help and opinions please!

Hello all, I have a dilemma that I hope you can help me with. Today i happened across an unusual ring at a small antique shop. The ring looks like a "west wall" type ring, but it says "west front" instead. The side devices are two crossed bayonets and a potato masher. The inside shank is faintly stamped "gold". The story I got is that they purchased a large grouping of jewelry from an elderly man after his wife had passed. He told them he brought it home from the war and it was a "German infantry ring". The sellers had it tested and it registers as 9k. looks brass to me so I plan to have a jeweler test it. It looks die stamped rather than cast to me. I don't recall seeing a west front ring, Let alone a gold one. Is this a real TR ring? Any help, info or opinions would be appreciated before I purchase.
    Last edited by rbminis; 02-24-2015 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Edited to orient photos properly.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement west front ring need help and opinions please!
    P
    Many

Please read my post in your other thread.
    DAK rings
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Oi, sorry Ralph. I'll try to get it sorted out. I think i'm having troubles because I'm doing this from my phone not a computer.

Nice Westwall/Westfront-theme, note the shovel/spade on the side and the dragon's teeth tank traps in the foreground...
    I like that one too...I've seen the Kantinen-rings marked either westwall or westfront in silver...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by DAK1941 View Post
    Oi, sorry Ralph. I'll try to get it sorted out. I think i'm having troubles because I'm doing this from my phone not a computer.
    That seems to be a common problem for some.
    I would appreciate if you could sort it out, it is not fair to expect the members here to have to turn their heads sideways to attempt to help you.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Yes and no, on this one. Like Glenn, I've seen "West Front" on ring designs, and the West Wall design is common enough, but the "Gold" stamping in it is unknown to me. 9k usually looks to me,at least, more pinkish or coppery in tint or at best, pale gold, but this one looks to be very Brassy. There looks to be more to the stamp than "Gold"...perhaps 2 more letters after it. It may not even Say "gold" but the name of the maker-which could, of course, be nearly anything. It could say "GoldP" for gold plate, etc. Overall, the workmanship is weak and poor but being a cheap cantine ring selling for little of nothing, who can say for sure. I'd have to say, though, that I like it-despite of it's flaws and questions. I certainly can't see anyone faking such a low value piece. I see no real obstacles on this one.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

You know, I had the same thoughts. I liked the look of the design as original, but it sure did not look gold to me. It looked and even smelled like brass. And you are exactly correct, there are one or two more letters after the "gold" but they were so faint as to not be able to make them out. The seller swears that it was jeweller tested at 9k but I have my doubts. The price on this is 200 dollars US, which is maybe ok for gold, but astronomical for a brass one. I did get her to offer a 7 day return on it if I found it not to be gold. I'm not sure what would be a realistic price if it turned out to be brass...

Brass? Perhaps $75 max. Still an interesting ring but very unlikely solid gold.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Rather common and well known pattern. They are in silver or like this one in brass former silver plated.
    Nothing wrong with this one.

I would wager the stamp is 'GOLDIN', the name of an alloy of the times commonly used in ring manufacture.

west front ring need help and opinions please!west front ring need help and opinions please!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast