Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

West Wall Ring on order

Article about: Hello all. I have this West Wall ring on order and it is already on it's way. Please check the sellers photos and part of his description to give me an opinion regarding it's authenticity. O

Default West Wall Ring on order

Hello all.

I have this West Wall ring on order and it is already on it's way.
    Please check the sellers photos and part of his description to give me an opinion regarding it's authenticity.
    Of course, I really hope that it is original to WW2 Germany, but if not, the seller does accept returns as long as I pay for postage.
    I did a bit of online research on this item before purchase and it looked very similar to other West Wall rings claiming to be original.
    The underlying brass has been exposed by the lost silver plating and the pattern looked correct, but some rings had "1939/40" inscribed on the front and some did not. I was thrown by that but I bought it anyway.

Thanks in advance.

MrFrank

"Up for auction is 100% original german brass westwall ring. Ring inner diameter - 20mm (UK size - U; US size - 10 1/4)."
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture West Wall Ring on order   West Wall Ring on order  

West Wall Ring on order   West Wall Ring on order  

West Wall Ring on order  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement West Wall Ring on order
    P
    Many

Hi Frank,
    I have found this ring on many sites on sale, there are bunch of them. It has very poor details and it looks like casting piece. Anyhow this is pure fantasy ring IMO and totally crap.
    Best regards,
    Franko

Sorry Franko i have to disagree with you West Wall 1939/40 Ring - Opinions? according to out Late friend Odal this pattern of ring did exist, i can't comment if this ring is legitimate though.

?

I have to agree, this style of ring did exist

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Sorry Franko i have to disagree with you West Wall 1939/40 Ring - Opinions? according to out Late friend Odal this pattern of ring did exist, i can't comment if this ring is legitimate though.
    This ring is indeed a known pattern. Gunny shared a good link on this forum. There is also a great thread about West Wall rings on the GD Honor Rings Forum. Here's a link:

westwall rings - German Daggers

The detail on MrFrank's ring seems OK but it's hard to tell from the photos. It could be cast. Me, I would be more worried about the patina which suggests artificial ageing. As noted by Gunny, Odal (or Wagriff, both sadly gone) would have known at a glance whether this is a good ring or a repro.

For what it's worth, I think it's a dud. Don't like the look of the ageing. I hope I'm wrong.

Hi guys, in that case problem here is in the fact that currently there are tens of this rings for sale and sellers are claiming for each of them that its original genuine item. That was enough for me to think that it has to be some fantasy piece as many other allegedly genuine WW2 German rings are, but all of these west wall rings are certainly not genuine pieces, just cast copies, majority of them, maybe even all. If this pattern really existed then its not strange at all to be faked so much. Unfortunately ring which have Frank posted here looks like that cast copy examples which are on sale as originals for some 50-100€. That price should be big giveaway also, original Third Reich era ring cant be that cheap. So obvious qustion here would be how much did you pay Frank for this piece? That will not determine is that ring original of course, but it can be indicative.
    Best regards,
    Franko

Quote by Franjo Vuk View Post
    Hi guys, in that case problem here is in the fact that currently there are tens of this rings for sale and sellers are claiming for each of them that its original...
    I agree with Franko.

?

when you have the ring in hand, put some good clear pics on here, i'm sure the members will advice you as to it being good or bad.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Thanks for the link Gunny Hartmann.
    The ring in your link with the accepted pattern has "1939/40" inscribed on the front, but mine does not.
    Isn't that significant ?

Regards,

MrFrank

Quote by Franjo Vuk View Post
    Hi Frank,
    I have found this ring on many sites on sale, there are bunch of them. It has very poor details and it looks like casting piece. Anyhow this is pure fantasy ring IMO and totally crap.
    Best regards,
    Franko
    Thanks Franko.
    This new hobby of collecting WW2 german relics is so damn hard !
    Collecting rings as another poster has already told me is a "specialty" area in an already difficult hobby.
    I wish I had joined this forum before I started collecting .............
    The eBay seller who sold me this ring has a 100% positive feedback rating so I thought it was a safe purchase.
    How naive !

Regards,

MrFrank

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast