Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What do you guys think of this SS totenkopf ring? I can't find this style anywhere else on the net

Article about: Hey guys, I just recently acquired this ring for \\$700 -- the clearer pictures are of the ring before polishing, as unfortunately the owner before polished a good amount of the detail off (wh

Default What do you guys think of this SS totenkopf ring? I can't find this style anywhere else on the net

Hey guys,

I just recently acquired this ring for $700 -- the clearer pictures are of the ring before polishing, as unfortunately the owner before polished a good amount of the detail off (which was not shown in the listing). I'll include some pictures of the ring now, as well.

This ring has a certificate of authenticity from the Ukraine State Museum. Since I had not seen anything like it online though, I thought it would be good to ask you guys -- is it legitimate? What is it worth? I only have one day left to return it, so hopefully it is legitimate... it is about a size 12 (US).

Here are the pictures:

What it looks like now -- I'm worried that the removal of the patina damages the value:

Thanks in advance for your input!

-ziplock

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What do you guys think of this SS totenkopf ring? I can't find this style anywhere else on the net
    P
    Many

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

In this case you have done no harm, but don't clean anything like this in future. The ring is a fake. ANY ring with SS markings inside is fake.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi, welcome to the forum, I am not a ring collector but this looks like a fake that's been acid aged to me and as Ade states, that SS stamp is really suspect. Leon.

Thanks for the input guys. I was worried that it was a fake, let's pray I can return it. This is alarming since it seems to have a legitimate (?) COA -- I'll post some pictures.

Quick note Ade -- it was actually the previous owner who removed the patina. I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing

Here are the pictures:

I've been lurking here a while -- I trust your opinions that it is fake, I'm just posting this COA to see what you folks think about it, and perhaps find out how I can spot false COAs in the future.

The COA isnt worth the paper it is writen on ,you find quite a few copy items with COAs it always better to look at the item and find out if its original and didnt just buy a item because it has a COA with it

Sadly not worth the paper it is written upon.

COA's are not needed. Rely on your own/forum's knowledge.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

mpw
    ?

If I understand your initial post the seller sold you the ring as described, i.e. in an uncleaned state and then proceeded to clean it before sending it to you. Most countries have very strict laws on selling items as not described so this and the fact it is a fake should present no problems obtaining a refund regardless of the sellers time scale for such.

Rgd's Mark.

It's been said many times, a COA is only worth the paper it's printed on. A good rule of thumb is to simply avoid them altogether. The ring in question is a Old and Well Known fraud. Lots of warning flags on it-the SS stamp inside is an Immediate stopper. About the safest bet that you can do, is to post Here good photos-clear,close and inside and out of any ring that you're interested in and we can give you the green flag or the red for it. Good luck on your refund. If you paid with PayPal, hopefully, it should be no problem. $700 is a pretty hefty bite, for sure, to swallow.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    It's been said many times, a COA is only worth the paper it's printed on. A good rule of thumb is to simply avoid them altogether. The ring in question is a Old and Well Known fraud. Lots of warning flags on it-the SS stamp inside is an Immediate stopper. About the safest bet that you can do, is to post Here good photos-clear,close and inside and out of any ring that you're interested in and we can give you the green flag or the red for it. Good luck on your refund. If you paid with PayPal, hopefully, it should be no problem. $700 is a pretty hefty bite, for sure, to swallow.
    Haha, yes it is a hefty bite. Thanks for all the input gentlemen. I didn't know that COAs were so worthless -- clearly I'm pretty new at this.

The guy I did business with is quite nice (through Gunbroker -- I'm guessing now that that is a site to avoid entirely...). I don't think I'll have a problem getting a refund, but I'll keep you guys posted about that.

This is a great forum you have here. I'll definitely post to see what you guys think before picking any rings up in the future. I just got into the hobby and for some reason really want to collect TR rings... they seem like some of the most faked TR items though.

P.S. If there are any books or resources I should seek out -- other than reading this forum, and other than the books specifically about SS Honor rings, which are out of my price range for now -- I'd be happy to hear them and get myself educated on the subject.

Unfortunately, there aren't any published works on Third Reich jewelry out there just yet-and there Really Should be, but no such luck, so far. The Forum here is about your best bet as of today! Where else can you find all of the experts in the hobby from all over the World in one place and for free, no less? You should consider becoming a full member(it's only 25 bucks and well worth the miniscule investment!) It's a win-win situation.
    Btw...Gunbroker? You're absolutely right-avoid like the plague!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast