Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Victorian Livery button, unknown

Article about: An interesting and very appealing livery button from the Victorian? period, belonging to the uniform of some unknown noble family I think. Having a crown, coronet and a crowned lion is very

Default Victorian Livery button, unknown

An interesting and very appealing livery button from the Victorian? period, belonging to the uniform of some unknown noble family I think. Having a crown, coronet and a crowned lion is very unusual as is the lion being pierced by an arrow, full of rich symbolism but about which I know nothing except it came from the same dig as the 93rd foot button which took place in Kent many years ago. perhaps someone up on heraldry can answer to what it relates, I did try to research it many years ago but without any success.

It could be an early militia button from an early unit, mid 18th century perhaps, though a noble family livery button is my best guess so far.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Victorian Livery button, unknown  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

love this stuff,hope someone comes up with a answer Jerry.

Jerry

It is livery to a Duke or Lord, its very similar to the ones on this page https://sites.google.com/site/livery...ome/lions-misc for Lord Howard or the Duke of Norfolk. If you email Kevin who runs that site he will nail it for you, for use of the image on the site, if you know rough find spot saves an enormous amount of time?

Cheers

Steve

Quote by Steve Newman View Post
    Jerry

It is livery to a Duke or Lord, its very similar to the ones on this page https://sites.google.com/site/livery...ome/lions-misc for Lord Howard or the Duke of Norfolk. If you email Kevin who runs that site he will nail it for you, for use of the image on the site, if you know rough find spot saves an enormous amount of time?

Cheers

Steve
    Hi Steve, I got an answer. Thanks for the heads up.

It is for Baron Harris which was created in 1815 and continues until the present day and has strong connections with Faversham, Kent - see info on these links Harris, Baron (UK, 1815)
    Baron Harris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Belmont House - Home (see crest on top of the index list).
    It is a real shame that there isn't any writing on the reverse side as this would have been helpful in dating it, however I would say that it is probable that the 3rd or 4th Baron commissioned this button to be worn by his staff.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Knew he would get it!! Glad to help least I can do for what I learn on here, least on this new button section I may be able to add something to the community!

Steve

Quote by Steve Newman View Post
    Hi Jerry

Knew he would get it!! Glad to help least I can do for what I learn on here, least on this new button section I may be able to add something to the community!

Steve
    Everything helps, no matter how small. Buttons can unlock the secrets of the past, not the thread on the soldier from the Nederlands, ID'd by his buttons to regiment.

It would be great if you have any buttons to share with us here to help this section grow.
    Regards,

Jerry

No problem Jerry, I have dug hundreds myself and have over 300 on the website now so will happily add some British stuff up next week

That would be great Steve and I look forward to seeing them.

Have you got an early Welsh examples?
    Regards,

Jerry

Certainly have some images I can share, cant remember digging one myself but may well have done, will have a shuftie for you

Steve

It could be a hunting button, I believe there was a pack called the Belmont Harriers back in the late 19th century. The button would have been worn by the masters and hunt servants.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast